eReaders

Guest Dabeagle

Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich? Seriously? LOL.

Colin, thanks, I've subscribed to that newsletter.

@ Camy -- Amazon.co.uk should have *many* free ebooks also. There are many available here in the US. Most ultimately derive from Project Gutenberg. Don't give up, mate, try searching there for "free ebooks". Not only is there free classic older stuff, but there are some newer things as well. You'll also find low-cost short stories and novellas and novels, either indie or amateur or pro. -- If you'd rather another site than Amazon, check. I don't know if Barnes & Noble exists across the pond but -- check wherever, online stores or sites for brick-and-mortar bookstores. Well worth a look. Try lulu.com and smashwords.com for low cost, platform-agnostic ebooks.

Ahem, the dreaded Harry Potter series are all available in ebooks now, but Ms. Rowling's official site, Pottermore, is roundabout for the ordering process. It looks like Amazon is going to offer a more direct method soon.

Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich? Seriously? LOL.

Yup. The Android operating system, by Google, which is on the majority of smartphones in existence now, has rather colorful names for the different versions. The Google team working on this, as is their way, decided early on when developing the operating system, that each version (like 1.0, 2.0, 3.2, etc) would be codenamed with the name of a dessert or tasty treat, starting with the next letter of the alphabet for the next version. So, the first big public release, 1.5 was dubbed, "Cupcake." Then 1.6 was, "Donut," 2.0/2.1 was, "Eclair," 2.2 was, "Froyo," 2.3 was, "Gingerbread," 3.x (only for tablets) was, "Honeycomb," and the current version, 4.0.x, is, "Ice Cream Sandwich." The next version will be, "Jellybean," and the following version, "Key Lime Pie." Google hasn't announced the names for the versions after that.

For airplane reading I fall back on my tried-and-true method of buying used paperback books and tearing off pages as I finish them.

eek2.gif

You can't use a bookmark, or just dog-ear the page like everybody else?

I enjoy using my Kindle DX (bigger screen), and my partner has a Kindle Fire, but we both lust after iPads. Not in the budget at present.

I much prefer to have a real book in my hands. I spend enough time getting eyestrain looking at screens. But, if I have to, then it is the laptop for me. I have several ereaders on it, and it is a nice new lightweight one. But books are still best!