Doing Something - by Cole Parker

blue

Most of the comments here have been about what happened in the latest chapter, or earlier. That's great. Looking back and discussing what has occurred adds to the story and readers' interest in it.

I also think it's great if people want to speculate on their own; that's human nature. But personally, I wish they do just that: do it on their own.

My opinion, of course. What do the rest of you writers think?

I agree, Cole. Discussing posted chapters is fine, but discussing possible future plotlines could put readers off reading. Not that I have any right to comment as I haven't written a multi chapter story... yet.

So, umm, who gets to spank Luggie, then? :spank:

Oh and, while we're at it, that bloke (no names no packdrill) who writes vast blog length entries in the forums. ;) :spank:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that all of us, as authors, value the readers who comment on our work. Some do it better than others, but I always enjoy the contact which tells me I must be doing something right...or even wrong.

Some of them cannot help but guess at where the story is going, those would be among the frustrated writer's category. Then there are the one or two who feel it necessary to tell my story back to me chapter by chapter. I even understand that because it shows they are getting the plot all figured out.

But then I have the reader who sends a long and detailed email about where the story ought to go. This usually arrives after the story has ended and suggests they want to see more. I respond to all mail no matter how crazy, and I encourage the latter group to carry on with the story in their minds. Characters don't die, I tell them, they only go to sleep in my mind and the readers are welcome to wake them up and set them in motion.

I would not second guess another writer's ending, especially not Cole. Guess I will find out what happens after the aliens land...oops.

Chris:

I think you get mail from the same people I do!

I love the synopses. I'm not sure why he thinks I need them, but I enjoy them just the same.

Most of my mail doesn't include speculation. Sometimes I'll get a comment, "I know where you're going with this." That's fine with me. Anything goes in private mail. I don't even mind specific, detailed speculations there: it's just between him and me.

C

But then I have the reader who sends a long and detailed email about where the story ought to go. This usually arrives after the story has ended and suggests they want to see more. I respond to all mail no matter how crazy, and I encourage the latter group to carry on with the story in their minds.

Oh, I dunno. I think it's intended as a compliment, and I think you have to take it in context. If somebody tells me that, I just say, "hey, that's an interesting idea, but don't be surprised if I go in a very different direction." Or if they're right, I say, "ah, you're on the right track, but I can't give any more away." It's not that big a deal.

The moment you post stuff online, people with cajole, criticize, predict, and praise. Can't be avoided. It's the risk you take being an author. I don't have a problem with it, as long as it's done in a respectful way. Opinions are just opinions (and things we all have, like certain body parts).

Chris:

I think you get mail from the same people I do!

I love the synopses. I'm not sure why he thinks I need them, but I enjoy them just the same.

C

Oops, sorry Cole :wacko: methinks this gentleman has been following me for years. Not that I can take credit for this man's ways, but he has asked about other authors to read and of course...your name came up. At one time or another I have pointed out the names of many of the AD authors to readers looking for a good story. I have always felt in good company here!

Horton Hatches the Egg...only an author like Cole could draw such a wonderful parallel between a children's story and the best traits of fatherhood.

I see Chapter 13 as a turning point, something I have been waiting for. The opening paragraphs are loaded with emotion and images, the rest you will have to discover for yourselves. Good going, Cole. If the readers weren't hooked before they will be now!

Okay, now Cole has become pure evil with his story. This latest chapter gives us a list of clues compiled by his characters and I have read through it five times. I get the definite feeling I am missing something, but then Mr. Evil probably planned it that way.

Gaaaah! This is driving me crazy...anyone else along for the ride? Good going, Cole. There is something hidden, isn't there? :closet: No, you won't tell and I don't blame you.

**SPOILER** warning. I don't describe any action specifically, but the following might have spoiler consequences.

Cole handled this (in Chapter 16) very skillfully. There's always a danger of eliciting an eye-rolling "Oh, how convenient" reaction from the reader when a major plot developent arises from a coincidence, but that's certainly not the case here, as Cole laid the groundwork for it as far back as the very beginning of the story and kept it in our minds as the narrative progressed. So instead of thinking it implausible, we get caught up in the excitement of the surprise, just as Troy does.