grateful to still be writing

This evening, as I was driving the '66 t-bird to work, putzing along in traffic at about 20mph, the front passenger side ball joint broke. For those of you who don't know, this is the main joint that connects the wheel to the axle. There was this very loud 'clunk!' and the car dove to the right and then stopped dead as the wheel kinked out at an angle that car wheels are definitely not supposed to adopt. I happened to be passing the driveway to an automotive garage at the time, so I limped the car into the driveway out of traffic and stopped. Thank gods for cell phones--I called my best friend and business partner, got him down there to deal with the tow truck and hoofed it on into work.

As I was working away, I was struck by this thought: What would have happened if one of us had been driving down the freeway at 70mph when this had happened? I doubt that whoever was in the car in that case would have survived...even at 20 mph, the car was hard to control when this happened. In all likelihood, the car would have rolled and been struck by several other vehicles.

So, tonite I'm very grateful that I'm able to write this. Whether it's some god or other looking out for me, or because my Karma is good, or just pure, random good luck, nothing happened except I was late to work and a little annoyed--and I'm ok with that outcome. Yes, i'm pretty sure the repairs will be costly, but i'm ok with that too, considering the alternatives.

cheers!

aj

You know what? I think dying via car is a bad method, maybe you should be more careful and keep up with maintenance. he he. Glad to know you're still alive aj.

Just to let you know, I always thought that drowning in a vat of citric acid would be a neat way to die.

-N

Good to hear you're okay, AJ.

Sometimes it is frightening to realise how easy it is to die. I know someone who's currently in hospital after having a hand severed in a farming accident. If his son hadn't been there to drive him back to the house, he probably would have bled to death.

Take care!

Graeme

What a cheerful thread! :)

Glad you are OK... seriously AJ.

Sometimes we must all be reminded of our own mortality... I am every time I get behind the wheel and contend with the "death-wish drivers" on the road. You might consider updating the car a bit... it seems your wheels are a bit long in the tooth....

and to Naiilo...

Just to let you know, I always thought that drowning in a vat of citric acid would be a neat way to die.  

Add to that a bit of vodka... and you have "Death by Screwdriver."

Yes, i'm pretty sure the repairs will be costly, but i'm ok with that too, considering the alternatives.

aj

The ball joint shouldn't be that expensive unless it's for the rareity of the one for a '66 T-bird.

Now- possible bad news: more damage might have been caused by the failure of the part. That could be expensive in terms of time (labor).

If one ball joint failed, it might be a good idea to look at the other one. What usually wears them out is that lining gets worn away. If the other one isn't in good shape, it would be smart to replace it.

Another key part that usually gets overlooked: the U-joint. It transfurs force between the transmission and the drive shaft. It is really exciting when a u-joint pops and you'll want to take a look at it unless you want your T-bird to suddenly pole vault down the road.

I'm glad you are OK oh mighty Editor of Icaria. TSOI is one of my healthiest and enjoyable addictions.

:smt059

What a cheerful thread!  :)

Glad you are OK... seriously AJ.

and to Naiilo...

Add to that a bit of vodka... and you have "Death by Screwdriver."

I approve. It would be exciting,don't you think so?

-N

Personally, I always said "If I'm going to go, it'll be by riding a horse off the Empire State Building." But then I thought, what about travel expenses? How will I get a horse to climb all those stairs? Will I be able to live with a dead horse's blood on my hands? Then again, if I'm going off a building, I won't be doing much living anyway...but if some wires get crossed and I end up in horse-heaven, I'm going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Er...glad to hear you're alright, AJ.

8-[

so I heard back from the garage...looks like two ball joints on the same wheel, an upper and a lower; tie rod ends; brake hose, and various miscellaneous parts. This ain't gonna be cheap. Still, as I said before, it's better than the alternative.

I think James' point about having the others checked is a good one...I'll ask the shop guy to check out the ball joints on the other front wheel as well. i don't think the rear wheels have ball joints, because they don't have to be able to swivel.

Are all y'all (see? the thread was not wasted!) familiar with "The Book of Bunny Suicides"? It's a charming little volume of methods by which rabbits commit suicide...I am a fan of black and morbid humor, so it worked for me. I particularly liked the one with the picture of the bunny standing on the ledge below Big Ben, at 12:30. The bunny has tied a noose to the minute hand, and the other end around his neck.

anyway, thanks for all the comments guys.

cheers!

aj

Are all y'all (see? the thread was not wasted!) familiar with "The Book of Bunny Suicides"? It's a charming little volume of methods by which rabbits commit suicide...I am a fan of black and morbid humor, so it worked for me. I particularly liked the one with the picture of the bunny standing on the ledge below Big Ben, at 12:30. The bunny has tied a noose to the minute hand, and the other end around his neck.  

aj

No, I think rabbits typically expire in the commission of that act for which they are most famous, and which has littered the world with bunnies. Quantity and quality.

Tragic, but what a way to go.

Kisses...

Tragic Bunny

Interesting. Have you ever heard of Angus Oblong's "Creepy Susie and 13 other Tragic Tales of Troubled Children"? If you're into morbid things, I would suggest it.

-N

It's good to see you're here and alright to write, aj.

To Naiilo, I'd suggest drinking the screwdriver, it's bound to be more fun than swimming in it. But hey, maybe a citrus bath would be refreshing. Anyway, it beats the alternative. Orange you glad?

To EleCivil, I'd suggest reining in on that plan. You should really vote, "neigh!" on it. Now, if someday you find yourself in horse heaven, I suppose that would make you a stallion who's hung like a.... Well, you know. :D Oats are all well and good, but really!

To EleCivil, I'd suggest reining in on that plan. You should really vote, "neigh!" on it.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I'm far too stable to try something like that. Unless a Gallup poll shows that it would be the best move. And of course, I'd have to get written permission from the Mare's office.

#-o

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I'm far too stable to try something like that. Unless a Gallup poll shows that it would be the best move. And of course, I'd have to get written permission from the Mare's office.

Very, very punny!

As someone married to a horse-lover, can I suggest a few edits?

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I'm far too stable to saddle myself with something like that. Unless a Gallup poll shows that it would be the mane option available. And, of course, I'd have to trot over to get written permission from the Mare's office.

Having said that, VERY well done, Elecivil!