2 Minute History...Wow!

I don't know that we're safe even if we don't want land and resources that others want, and vice versa. What that ignores is this human bent we seem to have for dominance. Humans seem to need to have the upper hand. So even if the aliens are peaceful, even if we can trust them -- a doubtful prospect at best -- there will still be those who wish to conqure or defeat them just to show we can.

C

What is the general concensus? If we do explore the universe, if we do find other advanced lifeforms, will we treat them with respect and expect them to be peaceful, or will we treat them as we would enemies?

Go and see Prometheus, and tell me what you think of how the aliens who created us treat us later on. (It's neither fun nor funny.)

In science fiction, aliens are often portrayed as representing humanity's dark side. The truth maybe that they are neither nasty or nice, but something that has no relationship to the human experience. We just don't know, and maybe we shouldn't assume human characteristics (mental or physical) to aliens we don't even know, exist.

They might be as nuts as us, or they might scratch their brain encasement, in wonder at our obvious obsession with sex. Who knows? But even that assumes they have a brain similar to ours.

Speaking of, I nearly posted this in the News section, but figured it was kind of esoteric - just yesterday, researchers at CERN announced that they've found new evidence of the Higgs-Boson! ...Still not enough to say they've "Discovered" it, but along the lines of "We've got everything short of actually seeing it."

HiggsBoson.jpg

Higgis-Boson jokes:

1. So a Higgs-Boson walks into a church.

The priest says "Please leave, we don't allow your kind in here."

The Higgs-Boson replies "But without me, how can you have mass?"

2. A Higgs-Boson walks into a bar, the barman asks "what's the matter?"

3. A Higgs-Boson sits down on a swivel chair.

A coworker asks "what's the matter?"

The Higgs-Boson responds "I can't spin."

Higgis-Boson jokes:

1. So a Higgs-Boson walks into a church.

The priest says "Please leave, we don't allow your kind in here."

The Higgs-Boson replies "But without me, how can you have mass?"

2. A Higgs-Boson walks into a bar, the barman asks "what's the matter?"

3. A Higgs-Boson sits down on a swivel chair.

A coworker asks "what's the matter?"

The Higgs-Boson responds "I can't spin."

Heheheh, not bad. Not bad at all.