Chick-Fil-A Fast Food: Anti-Gay

Sad, because I love their sandwiches and hate their politics:

Dan Cathy, Chick-Fil-A President, On Anti-Gay Stance: 'Guilty As Charged'

from the Huffington Post (7/18/2012)

Though Chick-fil-A has come under considerable fire for its documented support of anti-gay Christian organizations, officials for the fast food chain have remained mostly tight-lipped about the controversy -- until now.

In a new interview with the Baptist Press, Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy -- the son of company founder S. Truett Cathy -- addresses what the publication describes as his franchise's "support of the traditional family."

Cathy's somewhat glib response: "Well, guilty as charged."

He went on to note, "We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that...we know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

Cathy then reiterated his stance during an appearance on "The Ken Coleman Show," Good as You blogger Jeremy Hooper reported.

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say 'we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage' and I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about," Cathy said in that interview, which can be heard here.

Needless to say, Cathy's remarks quickly sparked the ire of a number of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) advocates and bloggers. "Regardless of where you stand, the placement of LGBT people within our societal picture and within our body of laws is the conversation at hand," wrote Hooper. "That is not the same thing as 'support for the traditional family,' no matter how aggressively the self-appointed values movement attempts to (mis)name reality!"

Added David Badash of The New Civil Rights Movement: "Apparently, in the Cathy family’s mind, gay people don’t have families, no one divorces, and everyone must be Christian."

The Atlanta-based company's questionable contributions have been both well reported and the subject of a number of high-profile protests. Earlier this month, Equality Matters published a report on a newly-released analysis of Chick-fil-A's charitable work that found that the fast food chain donated nearly $2 million to anti-gay groups over the course of 2010. Among those to reportedly receive donations through Chick-fil-A's WinShape Foundation were the Marriage & Family Foundation ($1,188,380), Exodus International ($1,000) and the Family Research Council (also $1,000).

In February, Northeastern University officials reportedly squashed plans for a campus-based franchise of the fast food chain, after "student concerns reflected [Chick-fil-A's] history of donating to anti-gay organizations," according to The Boston Globe. One month earlier, New York University student Hillary Dworkoski launched a petition calling for NYU to close its Chick-fil-A franchise, reportedly the only one in Manhattan.

Cathy had previously shrugged off the criticisms in a 2011 interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, calling blogosphere reports on his company's donations "folklore." Cathy also noted, "We're not anti-anybody. Our mission is to create raving fans."

http://www.huffingto...ref=mostpopular

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sometimes waffle on the issue of whether to support artists, commercial establishments, or others who are clearly homophobic or racist. There are times where I say, "look, I hate how they act, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating a part of their talent or their business." I have that reaction to Orson Scott Card: hate his homophobia and political beliefs, like some of his writing. Mel Gibson is a total jerk as a human being, but a very fine actor and director. Axl Rose is a complete schmuck, yet there are some Guns 'N' Roses albums I enjoy.

But this latest Chick-Fil-A thing bothers me on many levels. I'm annoyed that they run the entire restaurant according to staunch fundamentalist Christian ideals, there are Bible quotes on some of their packaging and literature, and they're even closed on Sundays (!). I've known about the anti-gay thing for some time, and it's made me gnash my teeth, but let's face it: there are tons of corporations that quietly contribute lots of money to things we hate, including anti-gay marriage legislation.

Still, at some point, you gotta make a stand. I'm done with this restaurant, until the guy apologizes, changes his political stance, or drops dead. Now if you'll excuse me, while I go to KFC...

"Well, guilty as charged."

He went on to note, "We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that...we know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

Yes, he's right. We live in a free country... free to eat at Burger King, Micky D's, Wendy's, at home. But, they wont be seeing our faces or money anytime soon!

Yes, he's right. We live in a free country... free to eat at Burger King, Micky D's, Wendy's, at home. But, they wont be seeing our faces or money anytime soon!

Paco

Same here, I have a growing list of places I boycott magnetted to the door of the fridge... that includes those who's TV ads insult my intelligence!

The storm of protest against Chick-Fil-A is growing, according to CNN:

Chick-fil-A's gay marriage stance causing a social storm

The fact that Chick-fil-A is a company that espouses Christian values is no secret. The fact that its 1,600 fast-food chicken restaurants across the country are closed on Sundays has long been testament to that.

But the comments of company President Dan Cathy about gay marriage to Baptist Press on Monday have ignited a social media wildfire.

"Guilty as charged," Cathy said when asked about his company's support of the traditional family unit as opposed to gay marriage.

"We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that," Cathy is quoted as saying.

Strong feelings of support and disagreement have followed, making Chick-fil-A the top Google trend on Thursday morning as the company's Facebook and Twitter pages were burning up with arguments.

"Hate mongers! Never again! Not another $ from me," Duke Richards wrote on Facebook.

"Goodbye Chikkk-fil-a! your food was delicious, but I can no longer eat nuggets filled with hate!" read a post by Blake Brown.

"I am truly ashamed of the recent admittance from Mr Cathy about your bigoted company practices. I hate the fact that my money was used for this. I will never support your company (and) will make sure anyone I know does not either," Mikell Kirbis wrote on Facebook. "While I'm not a Christian I know that hate is not in God's plan nor (is) ignorantly picking sections of the Bible to brandish. Good bye and I hope either you change your ways or close down."

But the support for the company was just as vehement.

"Just wanted to say I'm proud that you stand firm in your beliefs. You knew the risks, and still took the plunge. May God bless this company with abundance. Never back down!" said a Facebook post from David Jones.

"Thank you for standing up for what you believe. The truth is not hate. It's just the truth," wrote Sharon R Boyd.

"I love the values that this restaurant stands for and will support it every dang chance I get! Pay no attention to the morons spewing hate!" read a post from Raymond Joy.

http://news.blogs.cn...torm/?hpt=hp_t2

And here's link to a video story:

http://news.blogs.cn...torm/?hpt=hp_t2

That's become big news in my home town which is where my folks live. Chick-Fil-A is considering opening a restaurant in Walnut Creek and there's a lot of backlash. I wouldn't eat there (too much sodium and fat in their food) and because they've always been very open about being anti-gay. I have no problem with companies saying they are Christian, like In-N-Out burgers, but I don't support any company that promotes anti-gay organizations or policies.

I watched the news on KTVU tonight and they had a lead item about Chic-fil-A's Walnut Creek restaurant. Turns out it's under construction and is scheduled to open in September. They made a big deal about the company being anti-gay marriage and contributing to anti-gay organizations. The tone of the newscast was that they'd have problems with picketing and boycotts.

Colin :icon_geek:

What is a Christian business? I see that label in advertising all the time down here in Florida on plumbing trucks and yard maintenance vehicles. By the same token you see American flags displayed in an attempt to convice the public that a business is patriotic. Does this mean they are more honest with their working habits? Not when they charge such outrageous sums per hour for their work.

I doubt if some of these Christian people see anything wrong with touting religion to increase business. We don't see any Jesus burgers, God salads or Holy Land desserts. I really think these Christian ventures are only trying to convince themselves that there is religious value in promoting the business with God. So far no plastic Jesus statues in your kiddie meal, but someone will do that if it increases market share.

Christianity in America is closely tied to capitalism in direct opposition to the teachings of the Christ who has become the figurehead of the company. The God business slowly grows, only now it is watered with hate for gay people. What would Jesus do? I doubt if he would eat at Chick-fil-A. Everyone should go eat a salad.

In-N-Out burger places have quotations from the Bible on their cups and sandwich wrappers. It's not in-your-face, and they don't discriminate against gays and don't preach about being gay is a sin and same sex marriage should never be allowed like Chic-fil-A's CEO does. I don't buy burgers there because I don't like their burgers very much. I prefer The Habit and Five Guys for fast-food burgers and The Counter for a top-quality burger.

I think when you apply to be a "Christian" business you get to put one of those little fish thingys on the back of you car. Then put the sign in the yellow pages that you are one, hoping some other idiot will pay you twice what the job is worth. Instead of putting a cross in the fish's eye, it should have a $ sign. Otherwise, it is just another... Hey! look at me, I am a Christian... How come you are not one too?

Better things to do with my money.

Oh, Five Guys is the best. (And by that, I mean the burgers -- not the actual guys.)

Yeah, sure Pecman. I believe you. :smile:

I like Five Guys. Smashburger is good too. The best burger around here though, as typically is the case, is by a local non-franchised place in a lower-rent area run by an older fellow who looks like he's been through a few wars. And probably has been.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/23/boston-mayor-blocks-chick-fil-a-franchise-from-city-over-homophobic-attitude/

Boston's Mayor is now pledging to fight attempts by Chick-Fil-A to put franchises in Boston.

“Chick-fil-A doesn’t belong in Boston,” Menino told the Boston Herald on Thursday. “You can’t have a business in the city of Boston that discriminates against the population. We’re an open city, we’re a city that’s at the forefront of inclusion. That’s the Freedom Trail. That’s where it all started right here. And we’re not going to have a company, Chick-fil-A or whatever the hell the name is, on our Freedom Trail.”

---

I think when you apply to be a "Christian" business you get to put one of those little fish thingys on the back of you car. Then put the sign in the yellow pages that you are one, hoping some other idiot will pay you twice what the job is worth.

There are various groups that compile "Christian Yellow Pages" - Business directories with only Christian-owned businesses, so that the devout can be sure they aren't giving money to people with different beliefs (Also, there's the implication of "Hey, a Christian mechanic wouldn't cheat you! Not like one of those heathen mechanics that lubricate engines with the blood of the innocent.")*. Shepherd's Guide is a big one.

*But really, the blood of the innocent is a LOT cheaper than oil, so it's Lucifer Motors for me.

I tried out Shepherd's Guide for Walnut Creek, California. Plumber? No. Painter? No. Roofer? No. Handyman? No. Electrician? No. Bibles? No. Jesus? Yes! Jews for Jesus in San Francisco – not all that close, but, what the heck, it's Jesus!

I tried out Shepherd's Guide for Walnut Creek, California. Plumber? No. Painter? No. Roofer? No. Handyman? No. Electrician? No. Bibles? No. Jesus? Yes! Jews for Jesus in San Francisco – not all that close, but, what the heck, it's Jesus!

Make sure you say that Jesus with eight syllables!

And now, Chick-Fil-A is introducing their new homophobic sandwich:

635.jpg

Chick-Fil-A Debuts New Homophobic Sandwich

'Queer-Hatin' Cordon Bleu' Goes On Sale Wednesday

ATLANTA—As part of its recent efforts to publicly align itself with fundamentalist Christian values, the Chick-fil-A restaurant chain announced today the debut of its new Queer-Hatin' Cordon Bleu sandwich that would be on sale in all of the company's 1,600 restaurants this Wednesday.

In a press conference to reporters, company representatives said the homophobic new sandwich will include the national fast food chain’s trademark fried chicken filet wrapped in a piece of specially-smoked No Homo ham that would be topped with a slice of Swiss cheese and lathered in a creamy new Thousand Island-based Fag Punching sauce.

"The Queer-Hatin' Cordon Bleu is our company's way of showing our firm commitment to strong, Christian family values," said Chick-fil-A spokesman Robert Gary, before adding that the vehemently anti-gay rights sandwich comes served in a combo with waffle fries and a medium soda for just $6.95. "From the very first morsel of this savory meal to the very last bite, customers can envision gays burning in hell with their sodomizing cohorts, and know that our sandwich is on their side.”

"Of course, the young ones will want to finish their meals off right with a No Fudge Packin' Soft Serve Cone," Gary added. "I can't think of a better way to follow up a sandwich this good."

While the release of the Queer-Hatin’ Cordon Bleu has led to anger from pro-gay rights groups, loyal Chick-fil-A customers claim they are happy they can finally enjoy a sandwich that takes a firm stance on the issue of homosexuality.

"Any sandwich that combines that great Chick-fil-A flavor with a hefty dose of vitriolic homophobia is definitely going to keep me coming back for more," said Atlanta customer John Oaks. “Come Wednesday, I’m going to be first in line for this thing.”

According to sources, the Queer-Hatin’ Cordon Bleu is merely the first of Chick-fil-A’s new family values menu, which is set to include the "AIDS Is God’s Curse" chicken nugget combo and the "Fags Caused 9/11" strawberry fruit smoothie.

[OK, this is just a fake story from The Onion, but it isn't too far from the truth.]

What I want to know is where those holes are in the puppets that Chi-fil-A claims might be a hazard to children. :confused: