Chick-Fil-A Fast Food: Anti-Gay

I see Mike Huckleberry and pRick Scrotum are supporting Chicken-shit-fillet. They really deserve each other don't you think?

Don't you mean Ayatollah Santorum, He who wants to make the United States a Theocracy?

Colin :icon_geek:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found out that a co-worker of mine, one I consider to be a good friend, has jumped on the Chik-fil-a bandwagon. I knew she was, in my opinion, a little too religious, but I never saw this one coming. Taking into account she two of her sisters are lesbians, her pro Chik-fil-a stance was a real shock. Any advice on what I should say if the topic comes up? Losing one of the few friends I have is not high on my "Things To Do" list. Usually, if she begins her bible speak, I just tune her out and think about something else till it's over. I'm not sure I'll be able to hold my tongue if this subject comes up.

Any advice on what I should say if the topic comes up? Losing one of the few friends I have is not high on my "Things To Do" list. Usually, if she begins her bible speak, I just tune her out and think about something else till it's over. I'm not sure I'll be able to hold my tongue if this subject comes up.

I might not be the best resourse for this, but if she is really a good friend, you should be able to talk to her about it. But, if you do you will have to put your indignation (good word) in your back pocket. Listen to her side, and expect her to listen to yours. If things breakdown. Then she was never really your friend.

I just found out that a co-worker of mine, one I consider to be a good friend, has jumped on the Chik-fil-a bandwagon. I knew she was, in my opinion, a little too religious, but I never saw this one coming. Taking into account she two of her sisters are lesbians, her pro Chik-fil-a stance was a real shock. Any advice on what I should say if the topic comes up?

Actions are not without consequences.

Tell her that she is a disgusting human being and never, ever speak to her again.

"If you want a hot piece of meat between two buns with special sauce, you can get it either at Chick-fil-A or the fires of Hell.

Eat up you Godless sodomites!" -- Joke just told on Conan.

I've chosen to never eat there since I first heard about the social beliefs of its founder - just like we've finally managed to find a brand of toilet paper we like that isn't made by the Koch brothers. Sometimes it really is a pain in the butt to be picky with the wallet when it comes to supporting/opposing stances on social issues - but it is worth it in the long run.

Just look at Coors. I still remember going into a gay bar and asking for a Coors and being lectured by the bartender one why I would NOT find Coors in any self-respecting gay bar. Now Coors is one of the most pro-gay companies and their beer is sold in gay bars everywhere. Meanwhile you see occasional stories of small bars in places like Idaho refusing to carry Coors products because it violates their christian values - but for some reason those things don't bother Coors the way the gay boycott did...

Correct. Once the company founders passed away, and Pete Coors took over as chairman, he changed a lot of their anti-gay discrimination policies and made it one of the most gay-friendly businesses in the country (20 years ago). I also remember gay bars in West Hollywood not only refusing to sell Coors Beer in the 1980s, but also carrying signs against the company.

It just shows you that companies can eventually wise up and change. To me, it's purely a business move: who would push customers away, just because of their personal or religious beliefs? I'm still aghast that Chick-Fil-A is closed on Sunday! Name another fast-food chain that does this. Insane.

What, I can't go to church and eat a chicken sandwich on the same day? What if I'm a Jew? What if I pray to a rock in my backyard? What if I'm not religious at all? It's nuts, I tells ya.

...just like we've finally managed to find a brand of toilet paper we like that isn't made by the Koch brothers.

I don't know, Dan. There's something satisfying and amusing about using Northern toilet paper for its inended use and thinking about the message you're personally applying to the Koch Brothers with every wipe.

BTW, we use Charmin.

More news that Chick-Fil-A's sales are going down...

Chick-Fil-A's Brand Approval Rating Plummets

After Anti-Gay Controversy

Posted: 07/30/2012 11:22 am Updated: 07/30/2012 3:38 pm

o-QSR-RATING-570.jpg?4

Chick-fil-A's anti-gay marriage stance has gotten some high-profile support by way of Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum, Sarah Palin and other conservative lawmakers. But among their longtime customers, it's a much different story.

Polling organization YouGov found that the Atlanta-based chain's brand approval ratings have plummeted in the wake of Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy's controversial remarks earlier this month. YouGov also reports that the company's overall consumer brand health among fast food eaters has dropped to its lowest levels since mid-August 2010 in the wake of the media firestorm.

Just before Cathy's interview was published, Chick-fil-A's Index score was 65, well above the Top National Quick Service Restaurant (QSR) Sector average score of 46. Just four days later, however, Chick-fil-A's score had fallen to 47, while last week, the chain had a score of 39, compared to the Top National QSR Sector average score of 43.

Among the other brands ranked in the Top National QSR sector are Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC, Burger King and McDonald's, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) noted.

Among those not surprised by the plunge was Aaron McQuade, Director of News and Field Media at GLAAD, who called the results "reflective of an America that values and respects its LGBT neighbors and rejects rhetoric like Dan Cathy's that seeks to demean and dehumanize the LGBT community."

"The business world has seen what happens when an organization supports the LGBT community -- which is that the LGBT community and its allies will support it," McQuade noted in a statement. "Now we have empirical proof of what happens when a company rejects the LGBT community. The LGBT community and its allies will reject it."

Although Chick-fil-A's financial contributions to anti-gay organizations like Exodus International and the Family Research Council have been well documented over the years, Cathy's somewhat glib confirmation of the reports ("Well, guilty as charged") in a July 16 Baptist Press interview has since sent both the media and a number of LGBT advocacy groups into overdrive.

"We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy said in that interview. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that...we know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

Since then, at least seven petitions have been launched on Change.org, a social activism site, demanding that universities across the country remove existing Chick-fil-A restaurants or prevent new ones from opening.

Mayors in Boston and San Francisco have also weighed in, telling the restaurant chain that they're not welcome in their cities, and the Jim Henson company, which had provided toys for Chick-fil-A kids' meals, announced that it would end its relationship with the company.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/30/chick-fil-a-brand-approval-rating-anti-gay-controversy_n_1719359.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

And an update: a very thoughtful essay on the issue of free speech and Chik-Fil-A's right to express unpopular opinions...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/30/opinion/randazza-first-amendment/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

The author makes some very good points on whether a city is within its bounds to deny an anti-gay-rights restaurant a zoning permit. It's a slippery slope when they start infringing on fair speech -- even if it's an opinion we hate. But we're also within our rights to not shop there and to send them angry comments.

Where politicians can withhold permits is when a business refuses to hire a gay person, or refuse service to someone wearing a rainbow badge.

Where politicians can withhold permits is when a business refuses to hire a gay person, or refuse service to someone wearing a rainbow badge.

A Chick-Fil-A manager was recently interviewed and said he was "dismayed" with the corporation's policies, and pointed out that he was 100% against discrimination to any employees or customers. His take was basically, "hey, just because this guy owns us doesn't mean they tell us what we can think." The gay commentator on CNN makes it clear he still won't eat there until their policies change, but says that people should have the right to work where they want, and customers should have the right to go to any business they want that's within the boundaries of the law.

BTW, the manager also went out of his way to say they don't interfere with anybody picketing their restaurant, as long as they don't block the doors. And he also said they give the picketers water (for free) when marching they're outside, which I thought was interesting. So it's not like the employees are without hearts.

Still pisses me off, because I like their sandwiches. "Love the person, hate the disease," in other words.

I've never eaten at a Chick-fil-A. They don't have any stores anywhere near where I live. However, they are going to open one near where my folks live. I won't eat there because the company, not just the CEO, donates money to radical hate groups like Focus on the Family. I don't care if other people eat there, but I'll tell my friends why I don't and why I think others shouldn't either.

You know, it really feels good calling Focus on the Family a radical hate group. I've gotta use that line more often.

And here's a gay restaurant owner who weighs in, saying they're having a "Chik-Fil-A Appreciation Day" just to raise customers' awareness of their policies:

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/07/30/opinion-why-im-celebrating-chick-fil-gay-appreciation-day/?hpt=hp_bn11

Very thoughtful reply, particularly on why some families are celebrated while others are excluded.

You know, it really feels good calling Focus on the Family a radical hate group. I've gotta use that line more often.

You know, Colin, I think calling FOF a 'hate group' is a Grand Ol' Policy ! :lol:

Mike

Fantastic! There's a KFC (or, as we like to call it, Colonel Chicken) a short drive from where we live. I stopped there this evening and got a bucket of 12 pieces with mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits, and coleslaw and a free lemon bundt cake. Not very healthy, but delicious. The four of us demolished everything. Take that, Chick-fil-A!

And here's a very thoughtful interview with some gay employees of Chik-Fil-A, who are dismayed and very upset about the boycot:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/01/chick-fil-a-anti-gay-controversy-employees-speak-out_n_1729968.html

I see their point: just because the owner of the company is an asshole doesn't mean that every single person who works there is an asshole. A corporation is much more than just one man.