Where is my John Cleese ??

I know that Hollywood is easily made jealous, even Bollywood makes them nervous, but I didn't think they would feel threatened by a film from South Africa.

But in 2010 John Cleese was one of the featured actors in Spud, The Movie, filmed in South Africa. Now I am reading they are making the sequel and yet here in the US of A the first film has not been shown or released on DVD. I want my John Cleese!!!!

Yes, I can download it online, but then I feel like a pirate...arrrgh matey. Whatever is going on, they have released the film in NZ, Australia, and several places in Europe. Is there a rating issue do you suppose?

No doubt it looks like a fun film with inappropriate language and delightful sexual overtones, with a perfect part for Mr. Cleese to play. All I can say is...WTF?

I know that Hollywood is easily made jealous, even Bollywood makes them nervous, but I didn't think they would feel threatened by a film from South Africa.

But in 2010 John Cleese was one of the featured actors in Spud, The Movie, filmed in South Africa. Now I am reading they are making the sequel and yet here in the US of A the first film has not been shown or released on DVD. I want my John Cleese!!!!

Yes, I can download it online, but then I feel like a pirate...arrrgh matey. Whatever is going on, they have released the film in NZ, Australia, and several places in Europe. Is there a rating issue do you suppose?

No doubt it looks like a fun film with inappropriate language and delightful sexual overtones, with a perfect part for Mr. Cleese to play. All I can say is...WTF?

That really looks good. I would like to see that. Especially if it's subtitled. For some reason, that language they speak is difficult to understand. Wish they'd do these things in English.

C

When you watch the video trailer of the movie, at the end, a series of related videos will appear on your screen. Please watch the one titled, "Ellen DeGeneres talks to Extremely inspiring 14 year old Graeme Taylor." This will make you cry and feel proud, and I wish that I could be as inspiring as this young man is.

I suspect the reason Spud has not been released in the USA is because they don't know how to promote a film with such a high ironic content. There is also the British accent which is judged to be off-putting to American audiences. For example, did you know that when the original Mad Max was released in the U.S. Mel Gibson was dubbed by an American voice because they didn't think anyone would understand his Australian accent. Go figure.

I don't know, Des. They have released the film on DVD in Sweden and you can buy it on Amazon...except of course you can't play it here in the U.S. with our DVD format. Language be damned, put the darn film on a DVD I can buy. The cast list alone will sell the film. I need my John Cleese fix!

What they release on DVD is separate from a theatrical (cinema ) release. Studios 'buy' films and release them in cinemas if they think there is a profit to be made. Sometimes they judge a movie of not being worth the expense, time and effort of a theatrical release and farm it out to DVD or cable. Each country is different too. New Zealand for instance, probably releases every film made in Australia but NZ movies aren't always popular in Australia. Then there are the independent film makers, but that's another story. Hollywood still rules the movie world, but I do wonder for how long, given some of the recent recycled plot efforts.

You can use a program like AnyDVD to watch nearly any movie on any DVD, but AnyDVD programs are not free.

The US does not understand this kind of film... or any film that has questioning youth that differ from the "normal" kid.

As for the Graeme Taylor clip, I'm as open as he is about my sexuality, but never in public... never. It would be like committing suicide. He is cute... looks a lot like one of our friends, Tim.

I searched for "Spud" on Netflix, but the closest I got was "Spader". But that reminded me of how awesome James Spader is, which put me in a good mood. It was certainly not a loss in my book.

• 3 years later...