Malware inserted on PC production lines

Camy

Cybercriminals have opened a new front in their battle to infect computers with malware - PC production lines. Several new computers have been found carrying malware installed in the factory, suggests a Microsoft study.

One virus called Nitol found by Microsoft steals personal details to help criminals plunder online bank accounts.

Microsoft won permission from a US court to tackle the network of hijacked PCs made from Nitol-infected computers.

Read the article

Nitol does not sound good. The idea it contacts it controlling botnet as soon as you boot up is bad enough, but that it could already be installed on a brand new PC is worse. :(

Still, forewarned is forearmed.

I am at little to no risk of buying a new PC, so I suppose this problem will have been solved once I do approach that market. I am extraordinarily reluctant to upgrade anything once I get used to it. I still bemoan the loss of the floppy slot.

I hate the crapware that's installed on most PCs. The first thing is to power it up in safe mode and delete all of the installed "extras" and unwanted applications.

Colin :icon_geek:

I hate the crapware that's installed on most PCs. The first thing is to power it up in safe mode and delete all of the installed "extras" and unwanted applications.

Aw damn, why didn't I think of that? Good move, Colin.

The only good news is that it seems Microsoft got a court order to take over the domain source of this malware crap and is now redirecting all traffic to that site into its own security labs.

Soon you'll all see the light and abandon your corporate computer overlords and start running Linux.

I'm a little confused. The biggest use of Linux is corporate and university servers. So abandoning the corporate computer overlords result in abandoning Linux. :confused: