Final Presidential debate

Camy

As an interested observer from across the pond I stayed up late to watch some of the final debate. Romney still terrifies me and his fixed rictus smile positively isn't normal.

I heard some pundit say that the winner of this final debate would probably be the next president. I sincerely hope, for the sake of the world, it isn't Romney.

The President showed how much of a neophyte at foreign policy Romney is. He showed Romney's flip-flops on a number of issues and the fact that Romney repeatedly agreed with Obama's policy on a number of issues. It was funny when Romney said that Syria was Iran's portal to the sea, considering there is no common border between Syria and Iran and Iran has its own thousand mile long coast line. The Mormon Shape Shifter proved he's not ready for prime time.

He also wore a very unbecoming smirk whenever Obama was speaking that, as the night wore on, began looking more and more vacant, like there wasn't anyone home behind it.

I thought Romney spent the night hammering on campaign talking points, and Obama spent it supplying facts and showing where Romney time after time has changed paths and refuted earlier statements. He also wasn't as strident as his opponent and seemed more, well, presidential.

But then, I'm biased.

C

TGIO (Thank God Its Over)

He also wore a very unbecoming smirk whenever Obama was speaking that, as the night wore on, began looking more and more vacant, like there wasn't anyone home behind it.

Yes- it was disturbingly like Biden.

Promises, promises...there seems to be a huge disconnect on all sides this political season. Any candidate who makes promises without defining the plan behind it is a liar. Pandering to the voters is almost criminal this year.

The split in the right wing seems to come from the Christian side who are more concerned about gay marriage then the welfare of their followers. The GOP bunch in Congress is wasting 1.5 million in taxpayer money on legal fees fighting about DOMA. Political fur is flying over abortion with one politician after another saying stupid things on the subject. Abortion is legal, get over it! I'm gay and don't give a S**T.

With almost a billion dollars spent on political advertising that rivals the propaganda machine of the former Soviet Union I don't think any voters are unmoved, but most are just disgusted. Two weeks left, that's all I can think about...I am numb.

With almost a billion dollars spent on political advertising that rivals the propaganda machine of the former Soviet Union I don't think any voters are unmoved, but most are just disgusted. Two weeks left, that's all I can think about...I am numb.

I get to this point and I'm disgusted and sick of both parties.

The reality of it is that we are not choosing Obama or Romney. They are simply the front men this election cycle. We are choosing between the cartels of billionaires that the two parties represent. If we knew who was really behind both sides, we would want to have nothing to do with either of them.

The reality of it is that we are not choosing Obama or Romney. They are simply the front men this election cycle. We are choosing between the cartels of billionaires that the two parties represent. If we knew who was really behind both sides, we would want to have nothing to do with either of them.

The third debate showed this better than the others. The topic was Foreign Policy. Most of the debate sounded like this:

Obama: I killed a LOT of Muslims.

Romney: Hooray! I'll kill a lot of Muslims, too!

Obama: Boo, China!

Romney: Yes, boo! China is bad; I feel bad when I do business with them!

Obama: Me, too! Iran is also bad!

Romney: Agreed! Boo, Iran! Let's blow them up!

Obama: I want to blow up the Middle East with robot drones.

Romney: Hooray for killer robots! Just like in Transformers!

Obama: I killed Bin Laden.

Romney: Hooray for killing! Boo for spending money!

Obama: To be fair, I only spent money to pay for all the killing!

Romney: I'm conflicted. I love money, but ALSO love killing...which costs money to taxpayers, but MAKES money for big business. And I love big business! Especially big businesses that use accounting tricks to classify themselves as "Small Businesses"!

Obama: Me, too! Politics is hard.

...At least, that's how it sounded to me. There was some lip service to education in there, but mostly about how it could save or make money.

I'd agree. Romney pretty much re-iterated what Obama said. My favourite bit was Romney moaning about the size of the navy (smallest since 1916) and Obama's retort 'we have less horses and Bayonets now, too.'

I never used to care about US elections. Now, with the world the way it is, I do. We all live one planet, so please, don't fuck it up.

I'd agree. Romney pretty much re-iterated what Obama said. My favourite bit was Romney moaning about the size of the navy (smallest since 1916) and Obama's retort 'we have less horses and Bayonets now, too.'

I never used to care about US elections. Now, with the world the way it is, I do. We all live one planet, so please, don't fuck it up.

This has backfired on Obama in a major way.

People that know understand that many of the ships in our navy are Cold War era- that's over 23 years+. Cars that old get an antique tag. Those ships and the Marine Corps have been fighting almost non-stop since the Gulf War in 1991- Gulf War, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq. The aircraft carriers? The aircraft are older than the pilots. Some of our subs date back as far as the sixties. The navy's ships and the equipment used by Marines is simply wearing out.

Obama has been quick to point out that the Navy has not asked for more ships.

That might be because Admirals and Generals that ask for things get sacked by this administration. Since Obama took office over 30 Admirals and General Officers have been asked to resign for the good of the service. No- that's bullshit. They were asked to resign because they didn't carry this incompetent administration's water.

I have no particular love for Romney but as a member of a military family with younger relatives in harms way, I can't wait to see Obama gone. He's been a nightmare- especially in Afghanistan where his rules of engagement are so stringent that our soldiers are getting killed while they figure out whether or not they can shoot back.

I'm still laughing at Obama's coining the word "Romnesia."

I don't pretend that Obama is perfect -- he has many flaws, he over-promised and under-delivered, and I've been disappointed in many things that haven't yet been accomplished -- but Romney is horrible and Paul Ryan is worse. It's a bad choice, but I'd rather stick with the devil we know than the ultra-maroon we don't know.