Election results...

as I see it, Romney is not the only loser:

Statement from Bishop Malone Regarding ‘Question 1’ Results [in the State of Maine which approved gay marriage]

“I am deeply disappointed that a majority of Maine voters have redefined marriage from what we have understood it to be for millennia by civilizations and religions around the world. I am thankful for those who engaged in sincere and civil discourse on this matter of such serious consequence to our society. I am grateful to those who supported and recognize the value of marriage as the union of one man and one woman. I especially want to thank the Catholic faithful who did not abandon Catholic teachings on the nature of marriage.

These past few months have served as a teaching opportunity to explain to parishioners and the wider community about how and why the Church views and values marriage as the union of one man and one woman open to new life.

It has also been an opportunity for learning. I trust that those who voted for such a radical change did so out of concern for our brothers and sisters who struggle with same-sex attraction. Respect and acceptance of all people regardless of sexual orientation is not a point of controversy. It is a teaching of the Church, but so is the authentic meaning and definition of marriage. That is why the Catholic Church will continue its commitment to work for the basic human rights to which all people are entitled, while remaining devoted to preserving and strengthening the precious gift of marriage.”

Bishop Richard J. Malone

Apostolic Administrator

Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland

For some time I have been disturbed about the Catholic Church and its response to gay marriage. In the above quote we see the hypocrisy of the church’s hierarchy in regards to this issue.

Marriage is something that has been one way for a millennia of time and supported by religion, but…the respect and acceptance of all people regardless of sexual orientation is not a point of controversy. We just want you to understand that as one of the major religions in the world we set the rules, like it or not.

What does it matter that you might disagree with us? We as religion claim ownership of marriage because without us…um, it would still be marriage but without our blessing. We want you to forget that we collect millions of dollars from our congregations and then spend it on political advertising against the very people we purport to support. Gay people are fine, we just hate their sexual proclivities.

This statement by a bishop of a church that will never recognize same sex marriage while his own sexual interests are suppressed in an inhuman ideal that God wants it this way. Oh please, take us back to the days when all Catholic priests were married, or gay, or something other than the unnatural condition they espouse today.

The Catholic Church does not speak for all human kind, they do not own marriage. Their dogma is more concerned about celebrating cannibalistic rites involving eating and drinking the body of Christ. That’s what a millennia of mumbo jumbo gives you, what bullshit.

This new law in Maine does not require the Catholic Church to hold marriage ceremonies, which has always been unnecessary. Marriage is a civil ceremony in which a couple registers with the county clerk and receives a certificate of marriage, a church ceremony is superfluous.

I don’t imagine many LGBT couples will seek a Catholic marriage, why bother to go where you are not welcome. The gall of the Church is that they presume to speak for all religions, when the Unitarians and other Protestant churches are welcoming LGBT people.

After this millennia of time, perhaps the Catholic Church is losing the battle to remain relevant. Who needs them to continue “…remaining devoted to preserving and strengthening the precious gift of marriage” when there are other viable options?

To quote Chris, mock quoting the Bishop: Gay people are fine, we just hate their sexual proclivities.

To quote the Bishop directly: I trust that those who voted for such a radical change did so out of concern for our brothers and sisters who struggle with same-sex attraction.

How smug. I know lots of gay people, as most here do. None of them stuggle with their sexuality. Maybe for a brief period as early teens, they did, but most accepted it as a fact while they still were teens, and then almost the only ones struggling with it were indoctrinated church-goers.

Many have struggled with society, and much of that struggle has been brought on by the negative proclamations of institutions like the Catholic Chruch. But they don't now struggle with their sexuality. Any more than staright people struggle with theirs.

To me, this statement shows just how out of touch the Bishop, and by extension his church, is with a significant prortion of humans. A portion, incidentally, that goes back for millenia.

C