Chuck Palahniuk - Guts

Camy

Chuck Palahnuik wrote Fight Club, a very successful novel that was made into a very successful film (Brad Pitt and Edward Norton). So, today I was wandering the net--as you do--and came across his site. As I haven't read any of his work I thought--a rarity--that I'd read one of his short stories. I've no idea why I picked the one I did, but I thought I'd share it with you all.

I won't say anymore as that would ruin the surprise. Without further ado, here is Chuck Palahnuik's 'Guts.'

Umm ... it's probably best not to read this just before lunch. :icon_thumleft:

• 2 weeks later...

Um, well. Okay. I'm about a third of the way through the story, and I have to say to Colin, "Never mind. I know how you meant it." I will, however, steel myself, not as the one character did, though, and carry on to the end, out of respect to Camy!

Did anyone expect that something printed in Playboy magazine would be literary gold? I'm sure stories like this serve to feed some of their readers, but I found it disgusting. As if the photos which often end up in the hands of drooling teenagers isn't enough, we now have this. I don't care if this author wrote Fight Club, that is also a piece of crap.

I see no purpose in posting this dreck except to encourage inexperienced masturbators to try dangerous things. How would we feel if one of the major gun magazines ran a story about the thrills of playing Russian roulette with Daddy's pistol? Sick is just a mildly descriptive word I would apply to this story, I'm sorry I read it.

I had some adventures in swimming pools as a kid growing up in Florida. But I knew better than to get too close to drains. (And I was a champion swimmer for about 7 years and could hold my breath underwater for almost 4 minutes.)

To me, it's a cautionary tale about how something done casually, on impulse, can have horrendous consequences. When I think of the crazy risks and chances I took when I was a kid... it's a miracle I'm alive at all, 40 years later.