Chosing to be gay destroys humanity

Chris James

This Christmas message from the Vatican is about what you'd expect from a Church so out of touch with reality: gay marriage is threatening humanity.

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2012/12/christmas-message-from-the-pope-gay-marriage-threatens-humanity/

It seems as if the Pope believes that when I was twelve I walked into a restaurant, ordered the steak, a nice salad, and then decided to have a gay life for dessert. The old "gay choice" argument is foolish and only fools still believe it.

I am puzzled by the Pope's argument, probably because he doesn't know what he is saying. I get the self serving concept behind the Church supporting traditional hetero marriage. As Monty Python so aptly said: every sperm is sacred. Breeding is important and all it seems you need to do is deny the flock any form of birth control. But it seems you also have to feed the flock and when a family has ten kids that gets to be an issue, but not for the Pope, he's not eating off paper plates.

Why would he ever think LGBT men and women would get married just to have kids and support the Church after a message like this? But lo, there are gay families that do support their church despite such a dispicable message. In spite of the hatred there are gay families doing the right thing and none of us should be suprised...well, the Pope is, but what does he know?

Gay marriage should receive support from governments because it increases the tax base, a practical reason. Governments laud human rights and gay marriage should be an extension of that despite religious discrimination...or maybe because of it. The Pope's world is shrinking because of these self serving messages and the stone-age practices of a Church so out of touch with common sense.

I've written this before here, but few years ago I was lucky enough to be able to visit Italy and as a tourist, toured the Vatican. St. Peter's was one of the most magnificent buildings I've ever seen. But as I continued the tour and saw the riches piled on riches there, it all started to feel a little obscene. They had such extreme wealth sitting on display, just sitting, stashed in display cases, and I knew about how they collected money from families that had a hard time feeding their children while encouraging them to have even more, and when I finally left, the injustice and lack of humanity of it all had made a deep impression on me. They, the Catholic Church, have so, so much money, and the followers of their faith are some of the poorest, neediest people in the world. That will never, ever seem right to me.

C

I've written this before here, but few years ago I was lucky enough to be able to visit Italy and as a tourist, toured the Vatican. St. Peter's was one of the most magnificent buildings I've ever seen. But as I continued the tour and saw the riches piled on riches there, it all started to feel a little obscene. They had such extreme wealth sitting on display, just sitting, stashed in display cases, and I knew about how they collected money from families that had a hard time feeding their children while encouraging them to have even more, and when I finally left, the injustice and lack of humanity of it all had made a deep impression on me. They, the Catholic Church, have so, so much money, and the followers of their faith are some of the poorest, neediest people in the world. That will never, ever seem right to me.

C

This reminds me of this interview, where Bill Maher asks a priest (in reference to the Vatican) if this looks like what Jesus had in mind.

I think you may be wrong... the Vatican's wealth is the fulfilment of the gospel...

"and from them that hath not shall be taken even that little that they hath"

Good one. I wonder if that's how the church rationalises their vast wealth. If so they've completely missed the point of Jesus' parable... but why would that surprise me?!

Oh...I get it now! Raptures are expensive, especially with all these false starts we keep having. God needs a better publicist because they keep screwing up the timing of our pending termination. Just imagine having to cancel all those flights to Heaven, hotel reservations, car rentals, baggage handling...raptures are a real mess to control.

Perhaps we will all just get pushed off our clouds to that other place down below. Must be lots of room since no one ever thinks they are going to end up there. I got news for you, folks...hell is damn near full of those who have damned us to hell for the past millenia. Standing room only except for those with Vatican credentials who have a permanent seat, and besides, the bar is always closed. My idea of hell!