After Ever After

Guest Dabeagle

Remember reel-to-reel tape decks? You could isolate a 1/4 track and record on it, play back and record on the next 1/4. Repeat again and again until you had all four tracks. That I understand, but how in the hell you go about doing this in digital format I have no idea.

This is very clever, nothing subtle about the satire either...except Disney makes an easy target and they deserve it. :icon_thumleft:

Remember reel-to-reel tape decks? You could isolate a 1/4 track and record on it, play back and record on the next 1/4. Repeat again and again until you had all four tracks. That I understand, but how in the hell you go about doing this in digital format I have no idea.

Download the very wonderful (free) 'Audacity', install it on your computer, and have at it. Much fun! :accordion[1]:

That was a fun video, but this is my favourite:

Multitrack! It's the same whether it's on tape or on computer. The difference on computer is that you can cut & paste and slide & dice. Radio commercials, TV commercials, TV shows, movies, animated films... none of these would be possible today without non-linear recording. Pro Tools is the big system everybody uses -- I was able to supervise a mix session today (my first in many years) on a TV commercial. Toy systems like Audacity do essentially the same thing, only smaller: kind of like a bicycle instead of a Ferrari. Both will still get you to the corner store, if that's all you need to do.