Gastronomic Alert - Danger!

Merkin

The flavors of cilantro and coriander are very different. It's interesting that one plant can produce an herb and a spice that are so different in flavor and in such wide use.

Colin :icon_geek:

I agree with Colin that the use of cilantro in an squired taste. He must be half Mexican like I'm becoming. I've found the Mexican and Southwest foods a delight to the palate, but it truly is an acquired taste, only for the brave.

When I was a little kid our next door neighbor was a Mexican chef. She taught my mom how to cook Mexican meals that were wonderful. I not only got used to eating spicy Mexican food but spicy Thai food as well. They are my favorite kinds of food.

Colin :icon_geek:

Thanks, Colin. You're right. Coriander and cilantro don't taste the same. And I'm the same as you. I occasionally get lunch at a local Green Burrito. They have a condiment bar where you can get free salsa varieties, pico de gallo, jalapenos and chopped cilantro. I load up on the cilantro and sprinkle it liberally over the entire plate of food.

But it is something you grow into. When first coming to California I thought the taste was too green, too strong, too overriding of other flavors. But it grows on you, and now Mexican food doesn't taste right without it.

C

I love good Mexican food, but there are few places that do it well. South Florida is not the place for exotic food. Hell, there is only one Indian restaurant within fifty miles and they water down the spices for the American taste just like the local Chinese places.

If I want a good curry I have to make it, and fortunately I have a great recipe. In fact, it was handed to my mother by Korean nuns who learned to make it in India. How strange. But coriander and cumin are a good part of the spice mix, along with the red pepper. It is so hot that you can sweat out a cold within twenty-four hours just from one meal. Unfortunately I have few friends who can tolerate it full strength. I must be a masochist.

Hummus is commercially available here "plain" or with various interesting added ingredients, such as pine nuts or roasted red peppers. My favorite version is with chopped spinach and artichoke hearts folded in, and I have it for lunch nearly every day, usually in a pita with nuts and mixed greens--or, of course, cold baked beans. :smile:

Hummus...now there is something healthy to eat. The noble chickpea has been a source of protein in the Middle East for centuries and now we have our gourmet versions in the market. Good on pita, or in any kind of wrap, I tend to use it in place of mayo. Love the hummus with roasted red peppers, perhaps some smoked ham, shredded lettuce and tomato...now there's a sandwich.