Bye Bye North Carolina...

so glad I moved out of that state to avoid the idiots who now seem to run it.

If they pass this bill then I hope Jesus will provide them with the tax dollars they formerly received from the Federal Government.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/03/17584491-first-amendment-doesnt-apply-here-nc-lawmakers-push-bill-for-state-religion?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=6

OK, I may be a little dense -- well, that's an accepted fact, I'm sure -- but just what does it mean for a state to have an official religion? I'd guess it doesn't mean anything at all. Are they planning on excluding the practice of all other religions? I can't imagine that. Are they planning to say all people who work for the state government must swear allegiance to whatever religion is the recognized one? No, that wouldn't work.

England has the Church of England, basically an Anglican church, and it's officially recognized, but no one is forced to attend. Well, I guess lots of schoolboys are so forced, but since when was anyone concerned about the rights of boys?

I don't see exactly what this NC bill does. Can anyone enlighten me?

C

I could be wrong, but the first thing that came to my mind is that if a state can declare that one part of the USA constitution doesn't apply to their state, then that's precedent to say other parts don't apply, either. In particular, freedom of speech, freedom of association, freedom of the press, etc.

However, the report makes it fairly clear that the law is unlikely to be be found to be constitutional, even if it does pass.

We fought a Civil War over this issue a hundred and fifty years ago. The First Amendment PROHIBITS an established religion in the United States. The U.S. Constitution takes precedence over state constitutions, no matter what a southern legislature thinks. The South lost. Get over it. Move on.

The bill's authors seem to be operating on the fact that the First Amendment states that

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

italics mine.

They seem to be thinking that it is only Congress which, "...shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."

and therefore their State can make such a law. From my reading this line of thought seems to have been tested and found to be unconstitutional.

In any case the bill seems to be merely an assertion without enforcement, but the idea that it may be used as a precedent would have to be found to do so in the courts, and I can't see that happening.