Boy Scouts select a new group to exclude

The Boy Scouts have come up with another way to make certain boys feel unwelcome. If you are overweight don't bother to apply. Unless you conform to their ideal for potential manliness, you can forget about attending their annual Jamboree.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/15/boy-scouts-jamboree-should-include-those-barred-due-to-bmi-restrictions-experts/
Seems to me they should be reaching out and helping these very boys to achieve fitness. Could it be a backhanded slap at what they perceive to be 'girly boys'?

They obviously didn't learn that the direction in which our society is going is toward inclusion, not exclusion based on body type or, dare I say it, sexuality. These rules seem to have been made by the same small-minded, biased individuals who were causing the problems all along.

C

Or they could be looking to protect the health of kids (and adults) that they are responsible for, based on years of experience (and law suits)

Jamboree registration page: https://summit.scouting.org/en/Jamboree2013/Pages/Be-Prepared.aspx

The national jamboree is a physically demanding experience. West Virginia is called "the Mountain State" for a reason, and our new home, the Summit, offers a very different environment than Fort A.P. Hill. The 2013 National Scout Jamboree is "on foot," with all participants and staff walking/hiking everywhere; there will not be bus circuits or personal vehicles on site. While a lot of the site is level, there are regular changes in grade as part of everyone's daily schedule. The Staff Village is approximately a mile away from Twelve Points, the flag plaza in the Summit Center; staff will make that hike, or one that is similar, at least once and probably twice every day, and participants will be hiking even more. A number of our activities require more stamina and fitness too—think climbing, rappelling, rafting, mountain biking, and skateboarding. It is essential that all participants and staff are prepared for their Summit jamboree experience.

The national jamboree is being conducted at a high-adventure site. For that reason, physical standards have been set unique to the jamboree. These standards help highlight some of the challenging terrain at the Summit and types of activities that will take place, all with the goal of keeping participants safe.

Accordingly, it is the policy of the 2013 National Scout Jamboree that:

The national jamboree will uphold a decision by an applicant's personal health care practitioner to deny participation for medical reasons.

The national jamboree will accept for participation applicants that are recommended for participation by their health care practitioner and have a BMI of 31.9 or less.

The Jamboree Medical Staff will review all applicants with a BMI of 32.0–39.9 and consider jamboree participation based on 1) health history, 2) submitted health data, and 3) recommendation of the applicant’s personal health care provider. For applicants with a BMI >31.9, a recommendation of “no contraindications for participation” by the applicant’s personal health care provider does not necessarily guarantee full jamboree participation. The jamboree medical staff will have final determination of full jamboree participation.

Applicants with one or more of the following risk factors may be requested to provide further documentation, including cardiac testing, pulmonary testing, or further information from their physician to ensure the applicant’s ability to participate.

• Hypertension
  • Diabetes mellitus
  • Tobacco use
  • Dyslipidemia
  • Prior heart attack
  • Coronary angioplasty/stent
  • Coronary artery surgery
  • COPD
  • Sleep apnea requiring CPAP or BiPAP
  • Prior stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA)
  • Family history of premature (before age 55) coronary artery disease

* Jamboree Medical Services will provide specific instructions to the practitioner to determine eligibility.

* The national jamboree cannot accept for participation any applicant with a BMI of 40.0 or higher.

I am not in that great of shape but have a BMI of 24....40 is really high.

Not reported, but I wonder if insurance came into it?

While the event doesn't sound over the top for any kid of reasonable fitness, I can see it being a problem for the seriously* obese - although I'd have thought they'd rather stay home and eat...

There is good reason though for putting the BMI figure high, as it is only a measure of body weight and height, and takes no account of whether the weight is muscle or fat. There have been reported cases of athletes 'failing' company BMI limits and having a very low fat measure - ie the weight is muscle.

Whether any such are scouts, but I bet some kids in wheelchairs could propel themselves the necessary distances.

*A BMI of 40 or more is classed as morbidly obese in adults in the UK