Standing Up by Chris James

Chris has managed that great thing an exciting first chapter... We already know there's another kid with a life-threatening crisis. We know the help that has arrived, it's the team that saved the day in Falling Down.

A sequel is tricky to pull off if it's just a sequel, but this story already feels different and... exciting. So get on board, the train left the station and it's going to be quite a ride!

It's here

http://awesomedude.com/chris_james/standing_up/index.htm

There is a tightness to this writing that keeps you caught on the hook as the author starts to reel you into what is no doubt going to a great story. We all know how difficult squeals are to pull off but from the start this feels far more like a new story with the same base character set as "Falling Down" rather than the followup on the old story. Can't wait for the following chapters to appear..

I've fallen down and now I'm standing up with joy at this new story by Chris. and he's posting so soon after his previous epic. Should we send him a food basket, or just slide a pizza under the door?

It's not often that we have a sequel on AD, but Chris has provided one for us with chapter 1 of Standing Up, and ended that chapter with a cliffhanger for us to fret about until he gets around to posting chapter 2.

Alright, where is chapter 2, Chris??

Colin :icon_geek:

I've fallen down and now I'm standing up with joy at this new story by Chris. and he's posting so soon after his previous epic. Should we send him a food basket, or just slide a pizza under the door?

My thanks to all of you for these kind comments. And lest you think I am slaving away at the keyboard 24/7 I will tell you that I had four chapters of this story written before even finishing Falling Down. You see, I had another story with these new characters and no place for them to go. But like shuffling cards I joined the old cast with the new and what you get is Standing Up.

This is why I say never cast off anything you write, it might come in handy. But as for that pizza offer, I have been known to eat one but rarely. The best pizza I ever ate is now a 1000 miles away in a past life. But this story is here and now and each chapter is written to make you want more. Enjoy the fun and hold the anchovies.

Loved the first chapter. I think setting this story a couple of years after the first makes a huge difference. Rather than being a sequel, it's a separate story set in the same world with some of the same characters.

I'm looking forward to reading more, though I'll probably wait for a bunch of chapters to be posted before I go back. I'm not as able to follow serialised stories as well as I used to :icon1:

Well the third chapter has just been posted and I am really enjoying this story, it is Chris at his best and just gets better and better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have just re-read Falling Down and Standing Up and find if anything they are better this time around, which I think is the third time I have read these stories, though it might have been the fourth! I have no doubt I will re-read them again in the future.