The Storm Spirits by Nigel Gordon

I really liked this story. My slight Anthropology background connected with the themes that Nigel presented here, and I think the scene was built quite nicely. Excellent story, thanks for sharing it with us.

I am always fascinated by the cultural beliefs of others, and in this case is makes for a spooky tale. I don't know Nigel's association with the Caribbean people or their folk tales, but it makes for a lively story. Good story, Nigel.

Just to clarify matters the folk beliefs described in this story are not based on any particular Caribbean folk beliefs. Before I started this story I wrote a back story based on an East Indian Merchantman taking indentured workers from the Spice Islands to Aruba. The Merchantman gets wrecked in a storm on The Island bringing the first population, to this I then added escaped slaves and pirates. Then I took it from there are tried to work out what sort of society would develop and what the folk culture would be. So the folk culture in the story and in the ones that I hope will follow base on the island, are totally my own invention.

Just to clarify matters the folk beliefs described in this story are not based on any particular Caribbean folk beliefs. Before I started this story I wrote a back story based on an East Indian Merchantman taking indentured workers from the Spice Islands to Aruba. The Merchantman gets wrecked in a storm on The Island bringing the first population, to this I then added escaped slaves and pirates. Then I took it from there are tried to work out what sort of society would develop and what the folk culture would be. So the folk culture in the story and in the ones that I hope will follow base on the island, are totally my own invention.

Well it feels very solid. You did a great job with it Nigel.