Standing Up in real life

Chris James

Not saying I am clairvoyant, but when things like this appear in the news it makes me wonder:

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-christian-american-patriots-militia.html

The Standing Up story had me read a lot about these wacko militia types before distilling it all down to what you get in the story. But this is real life and I hope the Secret Service is paying close attention to these nuts. Their claim to Christianity is weak while their racism isn't.

Let's stop this nonsense in it's tracks before someone gets hurt.

Hate to say it, Nigel, but the problem here seems to be God or those who claim to speak for him. This is why religion and politics should never appear in the same sentence. More harm has been done in the name of Christianity...well maybe Islam has a larger claim...but is that anything to be proud of?

Sedition: (law) an illegal action inciting resistance to lawful authority and tending to cause the disruption or overthrow of the government.

This word defines exactly what these so-called "patriots" are practicing.

Colin :icon_geek:

Whatever it's called, I'd love to see something about action being taken against this bunch of lunatics. Oh yes, and I'd love to see some action taken against Facebook for continuing to allow them to post on their service. If sedition isn't a grounds for deleting an account, then they need to rethink all of their deletion guidelines.

Hate to say it, Nigel, but the problem here seems to be God or those who claim to speak for him. This is why religion and politics should never appear in the same sentence. More harm has been done in the name of Christianity...well maybe Islam has a larger claim...but is that anything to be proud of?

Sorry to have to agree with you Chris but I do. I was once advised that the moment a political argument resorts to God or the Bible you know it is fundamentally flawed.

I suppose I should add the Quran to that list, not sure about the Torah. It was once pointed out to me that a good Christian or Muslim obeys the will of God, a good Jew argues with God till God agrees with his point of view!

That's the difficulty with democracy: even the most obnoxious lout in the choir gets to have his say.

As long as it remains words, nothing can or should be done.

Don't think the Dept. of Homeland Security hasn't noticed.

You can bet they are being watched very carefully.

Sedition: (law) an illegal action inciting resistance to lawful authority and tending to cause the disruption or overthrow of the government.

This word defines exactly what these so-called "patriots" are practicing.

Colin :icon_geek:

That's the difficulty with democracy: even the most obnoxious lout in the choir gets to have his say.

As long as it remains words, nothing can or should be done.

Don't think the Dept. of Homeland Security hasn't noticed.

You can bet they are being watched very carefully.

I don't have any problem with a person airing their differing views. As you say, James, that is the difficulty with democracy. I do, however, draw the line at Sedition. As Colinian rightly showed us, Sedition is an illegal call to action. How is this group's postings on FB anything but sedition? That, I believe, makes their posting illegal and FB is allowing a group or individual to carry out illegal actions on their service. FB is, in essence, supporting this group's illegal actions when they delete accounts routinely for statements and actions that aren't the least bit illegal, but do tread into the grey areas of socially acceptable. Perhaps Homeland Security should be investigating FB more closely as well.