Death of Mandela

It has just been reported on BBC News that Nelson Mandela had died. Although he is most widely known for his role in the ending of Apartheid in South Africa it should be remembered he also played a role in the establishment of the Constitution which embedded within it the anti-discriminatory principles that has given rise to the open and free Gay Society that is to be found in South Africa. A great man has died and a man who lead the way in Africa in showing that non-discrimination applied across the board.

A sad day for peace loving people of the world, but what a legacy this man left behind. I think a lot of people expected South Africa to explode when he took power and he proved them wrong. He will be missed, except by the American lunatics on Fox News like Bill O'Reilly who say he was a communist. I tend to think Nelson Mandela had more in common with George Washington. Something to ponder.

I can't speak for other Australians, but Nelson Mandela is one of my heroes. I admire the way he kept his dignity and humanity in the face of seemingly impossible odds, even through 27 years of imprisonment. He could have been excused for being bitter and angry... but after his release he quietly got on with life with no rancour and no hatred, and simply continued his life's mission. I loved his smile!

I can't speak for other Australians, but Nelson Mandela is one of my heroes. I admire the way he kept his dignity and humanity in the face of seemingly impossible odds, even through 27 years of imprisonment. He could have been excused for being bitter and angry... but after his release he quietly got on with life with no rancour and no hatred, and simply continued his life's mission. I loved his smile!

He was a most remarkable man, I met him twice, very briefly. The first time was in London when he was on a visit, he stopped and spoke with people in the crowd, I was wearing the Lambda badge and he asked me about it. A couple of years later I had to go to Jo'berg on a consultancy assignment, on the last Saturday of my stay I was in a market in Jo'berg buying some Township Art before I flew back to London. There was suddenly quite an excitement in the market and there was Mandela walking through the crowd. When he got close he came over and spoke to me and asked if I remembered him. I've heard from other people who met him that he had this knack of being able to remember people who he had only met briefly some time before.

The thing was that both times I met him he was able to make me feel that I was the important person in the conversation, not him.