The USA and/or The World are 2014 Years-Old

FreeThinker

I am hoping these people are joking. Dear God, if you really exist, please tell me they are joking! However, if they are serious, considering that half of Republicans believe in angels and more than half don't believe in evolution, how much do you want to bet these Tweeters vote Republican?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/30/america-2014-years-old_n_4520508.html

Now I tend to agree with Des on principle, but... nope it's not a virus this time... It's Statistics 101 at work

If you have a country with a population of more than 300 million then a substantial number will be five times dumber than average, certainly enough to make a difference, and enough to make the nation as a whole able to portray itself as dumb... just watch election night. There will even be enough states for some complete states to be twice as dumb as the average state... some of them will even be able to field a presidential candidate.

The flip-side?

There will be enough people under the bell-curve who are five times less dumb than average... also enough to make a difference... Silicon Valley. Once in a generation one of the bright ones will get elected as President. The question is can one man make a difference. Remember the burden of national stupidity, statistically half the nation must be more stupid than average. It's difficult.

Remember also that half the population is more violent than average, and some of them are five times more violent than average... and they all have a constitutional right to bear arms, even the violent and stupid ones.

Good luck in 2014!

Now I tend to agree with Des on principle, but... nope it's not a virus this time... It's Statistics 101 at work

If you have a country with a population of more than 300 million then a substantial number will be five times dumber than average, certainly enough to make a difference, and enough to make the nation as a whole able to portray itself as dumb... just watch election night. There will even be enough states for some complete states to be twice as dumb as the average state... some of them will even be able to field a presidential candidate.

The flip-side?

There will be enough people under the bell-curve who are five times less dumb than average... also enough to make a difference... Silicon Valley. Once in a generation one of the bright ones will get elected as President. The question is can one man make a difference. Remember the burden of national stupidity, statistically half the nation must be more stupid than average. It's difficult.

Remember also that half the population is more violent than average, and some of them are five times more violent than average... and they all have a constitutional right to bear arms, even the violent and stupid ones.

Good luck in 2014!

I can't trace the quote and cannot remember who it was attributed to but I recall a quote that I was told in school about the 2nd World War when one General is supposed to have said "It takes five military geniuses to make up for the mistakes of one military idiot." I suspect the same rule probably applies in other fields too, if that is correct then the effect will be to disturb the balance in favour of the idiots. Just look at UKIP in the UK.

Last year a group of friends got together and made comments like this. They said that it was an experiment to see how many people would agree with them. I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually the same thing happening over again.

But, they could also be a group of idiots. Who knows?

Last year a group of friends got together and made comments like this. They said that it was an experiment to see how many people would agree with them. I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually the same thing happening over again.

But, they could also be a group of idiots. Who knows?

The origin seems to be in Idaho, so it could be either.

The trouble with a democracy is that the ignorant and stupid have as much say as the informed and intelligent.

This is only a problem when the insane gain power or undue influence.

A danger of course, comes from enacting regulations which prohibit people from being stupid; an irony which is not only stupid in itself, but also grossly undermines the principles of a free democracy. People do have the right to be free, and if they wish to be stupid in their freedom that is their right. The real problem arises when the stupid are no longer a minority, which also insinuates that the educated, informed and presumably, intelligent become the new minority.

You could be forgiven for then thinking that election outcomes alternate between the dumb and the dumber candidates gaining power, with a slim chance of influence from the minority of sane individuals who haven't given up hope of leaving things in a happier state than they found them.

I can't help wondering if there isn't a kind of collusion between keeping the masses stupid and a precipitous attitude that the undereducated right wing followers think that the use of the word 'right' means they must be correct, no matter what; especially where the right religious belief is concerned.

It's more likely that keeping the masses uninformed and uneducated is the foundation for free market spending sprees.