Gay Marriage - coming soon to Oklahoma?

E.J.

Don't hold your breath for reality coming to Okieland anytime soon. The Taliban Republicans here are just a few steps away from making women wear veils over their faces and cutting off the hands of thieves.

I make jokes about my state, but the truth is the Republicans in Oklahoma are as conservative as you can get in the US. Governor Mary Fallin, one of the most conservative Governors in the nation, apparently isn't conservative enough for the Tea Baggers and radical right-wingers and she will have to face a Tea Party challenge from the nut she defeated for the GOP nomination four years ago, Randy Brogdan, who famously declared in 2010 that if the Tea Party doesn't get its way through ballots, it should consider turning to bullets. Yee-haw. And, what's frightening is that is how most Oklahomans think.

If the ban on same-sex marriage is successfully ruled unconstitutional after winding its way through the courts, you WILL see the Oklahoma state government defy the Federal government on this issue. And these Confederates will never, ever, back down on this issue.

If the ban on same-sex marriage is successfully ruled unconstitutional after winding its way through the courts, you WILL see the Oklahoma state government defy the Federal government on this issue. And these Confederates will never, ever, back down on this issue.

Never say never. If even Rush Limbaugh can (reluctantly) endorse gay marriage, anything is possible:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/03/27/how_will_gop_deal_with_gay_marriage

Even Rush says the real issues we have are economic, and that gay marriage is just a distraction from that.

Reading that certainly didn't make me think Rush supports gay marriage, or even doesn't care if gay marriage becomes legal. He keeps saying things about the way we were, what made this country great, the culture we had, that's America and how it should be. To me, that sounds like code for, gays shouldn't marry, and to tell the truth, shouldn't even be here.

c

Even Rush says the real issues we have are economic, and that gay marriage is just a distraction from that.

He's right. When you can lose your job and have no legal recourse then your issue is economic.

It has happened to me several times.

When you have absolutely no job security, what fucking good is gay marriage?

Have you noticed that in many of the states that are getting gay marriage, the people getting married are also getting fired?

I don't NEED gay marriage. I have to work to live- that is a necessity.

This entire circle jerk has been assbackwards from the start.

Guest Dabeagle

On a basic survival level I agree with James. However, we live in a rich country, being treated like a human being, a quality of life, is nearly as important. I say nearly because you can have no quality of life if you can't keep a job to feed, clothe and shelter yourself. So I think it's bigger than just that - but I come from a different perspective as I have not been in James's situation. In areas where there are no protections, fear becomes the chief motivator - fear of losing one's livelihood, fear of housing discrimination, fear - perhaps - of physical harm. There is always a lack of a quality to life when forced to live in fear.