British Whats Are Bigger?

Don't know about there, Bruin, but in the US a 2 x 4 is no longer the true measure. Lumber stores carry a 1 5/8 by 3 5/8 as standard, but length is still in feet. I think the timber industry pushed for the change so that they could get more finished wood from a tree. Doesn't matter much as wood is still horribly expensive and the quality of any of it is poor.

A surprising amount of goods sold in the UK were metrified by requoting the dimensions in metric, fiddling the tolerance and not really changing anything. A surprising amount of 3/4 inch plumbing goods became 22mm, and for the things that did change like copper pipe, you can get conversion olives.

Threaded bits of plumbing in the UK, despite metrification are usually BSP (British Standard Pipe) and just to be really contrary, 1/4 inch BSP has a major diameter (the outside of a thread) of 0.518, ie over 1/2 inch.

I've a set of metrinch spanners originally bought to use on the three wheeler, but of quite a bit of use on domestic jobs too.

Don't know about there, Bruin, but in the US a 2 x 4 is no longer the true measure. Lumber stores carry a 1 5/8 by 3 5/8 as standard, but length is still in feet. I think the timber industry pushed for the change so that they could get more finished wood from a tree. Doesn't matter much as wood is still horribly expensive and the quality of any of it is poor.

From Yahoo:

When It Is Sawed In A Saw Mill It Is 2" X 4" , Then It Is Kiln Dried And Surfaced. Therefor You Loose Material, Most All Wood Sizes Are Given In Mill Size. 2X6, 2X8, 2x10 ect, These Are The Sizes They Were Cut At The Sawmill.

Colin :icon_geek: