An Inspired Ending

Sometimes there are no answers. Sometimes there are more answers than questions. Sometimes the answers are so obvious they punch you in the face. Sometimes you have to extract the answer drop by drop by drop. Sometimes, all it takes is to ask. But take care… once received, the answer cannot be returned. You (or I) can only wish to have not asked.

As humorous ending perhaps?

Sometimes there are no answers. Sometimes there are more answers than questions. Sometimes the answers are so obvious they punch you in the face. Sometimes you have to extract the answer drop by drop by drop. Sometimes, all it takes is to ask. But take care… once received, the answer cannot be returned. You (or I) can only wish to have not asked.

As humorous ending perhaps?

It's certainly profound. :icon1:

There is always the possibility of using the suggested words as a guide rather than them having to be used verbatim.

I remember that there was a BBC radio show, way back when the Earth revolved around the Sun, called, My Word.

The show used to end with a panel, whose members would have only moments for each of them to spin a story from a moderator provided phrase to be used as the end of the story.

Audience applause would testify as to which panel member had best succeed in using their phrase in their story; the phrase being different for each panel member. Inevitably, the phrase was twisted into a pun with very amusing double meanings.

I'm not saying that we should follow this format or idea, but I point out that we don't have to be inflexible in our adoption of the words as an inspiring means to an end.

It may also transpire that just discussing -suggesting- these endings will be sufficient to inspire a story with no obvious connection to the words at all. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Anyway, let's have more suggestions for our story; here's another I have been monkeying around with:

"It's okay everyone, they've found the baby, safe and healthy."

I remember that there was a BBC radio show, way back when the Earth revolved around the Sun, called, My Word.

The show used to end with a panel, whose members would have only moments for each of them to spin a story from a moderator provided phrase to be used as the end of the story.

I remember that. One memorable episode, Frank Muir was given the sentence "Oh that this too too solid flesh would melt!" - which is from Shakespeare I imagine. He launched into an involved story about ballet and his own attempts at it and concluded with the triumphant punch line "Oh that this tutu, sullied, flash, would belt!"

I, too, remember groaning at Frank Muir's "talent." If it's to be a punning contest, count me out.

No, no...not a punning contest; indeed not a contest at all.

To repeat what I said above:

I'm not saying that we should follow this format or idea, but I point out that we don't have to be inflexible in our adoption of the words as an inspiring means to an end.

It's about accommodating everyone's style and approach.

• 2 months later...

This thread seems to have whethered on the vine. (Deliberate)

I absolutely loved one, as it made me laugh so hard. The others, although good, don't tickle my fancy, and truly, this project is going to become a bit of a joke (parody of a serious story) and it should end with a terrific humorous line.

I vote for "He smiled through the pancake batter dripping down his face. It was the most gratifying moment thus far in his short life."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

And at the end of this tale, we know who are the real heroes. They're not the ones racing to the cameras and microphones to bray about their non-existent accomplishments and denigrate their detractors. The reals heroes work with quiet determination behind the public face so that the work of others can be accessed and enjoyed. Alien Son, Rutabaga, Cole Parker, and others behind the screen are the real heroes.

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2024 at 6:35 AM, synystraal said:

And at the end of this tale, we know who are the real heroes. They're not the ones racing to the cameras and microphones to bray about their non-existent accomplishments and denigrate their detractors. The reals heroes work with quiet determination behind the public face so that the work of others can be accessed and enjoyed. Alien Son, Rutabaga, Cole Parker, and others behind the screen are the real heroes.

Thank you for your kind words!

~ John