Virginia’s proposed anti-gay law

Camy

From this Wednesday, a committee in the US state of Virginia will be considering a law that would allow doctors, teachers, and all companies to deny service to gay, lesbian, and bi people under the guise of “religious and moral convictions”. Doctors could turn away gay patients, and movie theaters and restaurants could throw out anyone they even perceive to be gay.

The bill is going to a critical vote. If we succeed this week in convincing members of the committee to vote ‘no’, it will never see the light of day. Let’s show them that citizens in Virginia, across the US and all over the world are paying attention. Add your name now!

Sign here: https://go.allout.org/en/a/virginia/

Every time one of these state legislators puts something like this up for a vote they are costing the taxpayers money when lawyers are necessary for an appeal. Virginia is not an Islamist state just seems to act like one.

I recall when they were the center of attention over interracial marriage and were made fools in the court system. That was back when the more liberal residents of northern Virginia considered breaking away from the southern Virginia racist attitudes. Somehow in many southern states they always seem to need a contentious argument with their residents.

Then it was black people, now it is gay people. I just wish the Supreme Court would get off its collective ass and find gay marriage is supported by the constitution and all else is illegal. It can't happen soon enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Did it. And living in Richmond Virginia, I can tell you there is a strong gay presence here and none of us are sitting back and taking this without a fight. Virginia is for lovers. Even if many here think the state motto should be: Vagina, It's for lovers.

And thanks to all who are supporting us down here below the Mason Pubic line. Uhm I mean, below the Mason Dickson Line. Grrr. I mean the Mason Dixon Line

Well it seems there are some people in Virginia who have some sense, this was just published by All Out:

The subcommittee voted against the bill unanimously, so it will never see the light of day.

I got this email:

Dear James,

We won! The anti-gay bill in the US state of Virginia has been STOPPED. The subcommittee voted against the bill unanimously, so it will never see the light of day.

This law would have allowed doctors, teachers, and all companies to deny service to gay, lesbian, and bi people under the guise of “religious and moral convictions”.

166,551 of us signed All Out's petition against the anti-gay bill and the voting committee heard us. Our partners in Virginia delivered all our signatures straight to the head of the voting committee last Tuesday.

Click here to share this great victory with your friends now: