Words that should be banned from good writing

vwl

I guess my density shows. I don't see why removing either of the 'thats' improves the passage. In fact, in the second case, I think it reads better with the 'that' left in and more closely resembles a normal speech pattern. This is dialogue we're seeing.

Not trying to be argumentative or contentious, just thinking out loud, I guess.

C

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day, we all have our own styles and if everyone wrote exactly to the same rules, life would be awfully boring. I certainly could not do it for everybody, but some authors have such a distinctive style, I probably could identify their work after two sentences.

Back to "that" — there are times when "that" clarifies or simplifies so it can be useful. But please, never like this example: ...there are times when "that" clarifies or simplifies so that it can be useful.

"So" is a lovely little word that doesn't need to be trailed by a "that" — just leave "so" alone so it can do it's job all by itself.

Colin :icon_geek:

So that is the solution, it appears.

R

Of course, the "So" isn't needed in that sentence. It can read, "That is the solution, it appears."

Colin :icon_geek:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When you're dealing with dialects, there's a lot more flexibility. "So's we don't get caught" is an example. To me, that immediately brought to mind the speech patterns of your old-fashioned lower-class English labourer/petty thief. Capturing that feeling in so few words is why things like that are acceptable. It wouldn't be acceptable from an upper-class gent, but in the right context... :smile: