Motel 67 by Dabeagle

There is a certain inevitability to this story, from the start you sort of sense where it is going to lead but without knowing how it is going to get there. You are taken down a path that has an inevitability about it but none which is obvious until the end where it all fits into place. This is a great story, well told and well worth reading.

You can find it here:

http://awesomedude.com/dabeagle/motel-67/motel-67.htm

Over the years there are books I've read and movies I've seen that have put me off crossing America by car - or Winnebago: lots of people die or get eaten in those, especially in the southern states. Motel 67 is another doozy to add to the list.

Me? I wouldn't have waited for the barman (white faced and wide eyed, I'd be running for the car). Then again, as The Eagles once said: You can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave.

If you read Motel 67, then watch Deliverance, The Hills Have Eyes, and Psycho, I almost guarantee you'll never leave home again.

Actually, one can drive across the US very safely. Just don't stop at the Bates Motel.

Most people these days take the interstate highways, which don't show you much of the country. The better way to do it is take your time and take state roads and see what the country is like. It'll take a lot longer, but be worth it.

This is a beautiful country. I've only seen about half of the states. Wish I could see more.

C