Two Internet Security Services at the Same Time?

FreeThinker

I just bought another laptop and I was given free Kaspersky for six months. I also have free McAfee from my ISP. Is it good to run both for added seccurity, or will there be conflicts between the two? I was planning to keep the Kaspersky after the free period. Suggestions?

They actually could conflict with each other. There are some security software suites that tell you to remove or turn off other programs like anti-viruses or spyware checkers.

Most of them that have problems conflicting with other security software will have a warning somewhere in the instructions or as you are loading the program.

Just one geeks opinion but McAfee is pretty much useless. Take Kapasky and run with it.

I am very happy with NOD32 from Eset. I also scan with Malwarebytes which plays nicely with NOD32.

From what I hear, Kaspersky is a better bet than McAfee or Norton. I don't have personal experience with it. I have also heard that it's best not to have two or more concurrent antivirus programs running.

R

I confess to being ignorant on the antivirus systems on the market so I chose Avast. I have their premier level virus protection and keep my online settings on high to catch the squirrels out there who try and steal my nuts.

Last year I signed up for their Tech Support Program. With that I can call their technical service desk...and he is not in India...and have them run a diagnostic with Quick Connect access any time I want. This sweeps away all the cookie crumbs that various websites try and leave behind. I feel vindicated at the added performance these sweeps give me and feel the cost is worth it.

I use Avast (free version) for anti-virus. I also have the free version of Malwarebytes installed, but only run a scan with it if I suspect trouble. So far, after many years, I have found these are effective protections.

I've used McAfee for years and the only issue I have with it is it takes hour for the scan to take place. I've got it scheduled to start around 11pm and it's usually done by 5am the next morning. To try and use the desktop during that time is useless as it slows everything down.

I use Avast (free version) for anti-virus. I also have the free version of Malwarebytes installed, but only run a scan with it if I suspect trouble. So far, after many years, I have found these are effective protections.

The laptop is now running this format after a program I basically like foisted some very hard to get rid of malware on me. The big PC is also running the free version of Avast, but that machine also runs Yet Another Cleaner, and Trusteer Rapport.

For my home systems stuff, I use WebRoot Secure Anywhere

It's automated so I can install it and forget about it.

It's not a resource pig and I like their license arrangement. One copy can cover my desktop, laptop, my mom's laptop and I have another copy floating if I need one.

Another sweet feature is that you can manage them all by web interface/console.

It IS ALOT more than most people need but I'm a tekkie and need the extra horsepower. I recommend it for households that have home networks, multiple PCs and laptops. By covering all my systems and keeping spyware/viruses and malware in check, it's well worth the cost.