Bad Boy Gone Good by Colin Kelly

The lesson in the latest chapter is that when someone gets a restraining order affecting a student, the relevant school should be notified of it.

R

In California that's how it should work. That's, unfortunately, not how it works with a temporary restraining order, in this case the type issued by the police. It's served on the person (or organization) that is being restrained. A permanent restraining order can be served on the person (or organization) that is being restrained, along with a list of persons or organizations that are to be copied as specified on the restraining order. Also "permanent" restraining orders are not permanent. They have to be renewed prior to their expiration date, and it's up to the judge to determine how long a restraining order is valid (though there are statutes that establish maximums for certain types of restraining orders), and if the order should be renewed when that is requested. The person (or organization) being restrained can fight the issuance or renewal of a permanent restraining order. They cannot fight the issuance of a temporary restraining order. A temporary restraining order cannot be renewed. It has to be replaced by a permanent restraining order.

An organization being restrained can be anything from a series of John/Jane Does, the name of a gang and it's current and past known and unknown members, a commercial entity like Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a California County. a California City, a political office holder and his staff, and so on.

BTW, Mrs. Fintch might be a PITA, but she knows the rules. She didn't allow Pete to walk away with Jay. It didn't come up, but if Pete had asked if Jay was in school she would not have responded to that question. She's also correct in stating that Pete could come back and once Jay walked off school property he could grab him and take him away. School responsibility ends at the demarcation point, the line where the school property ends.

Colin :icon_geek:

• 2 weeks later...

The other thread on this story is in the Codey's World Author Discussions section. I really enjoyed the first chapter, but I have a lot of trouble at the moment following serialised stories, so I'm waiting for the story to get further along before I go back to the start and read it all the way through :smile:

Unfortunately I have the same problem with serialized stories. So I am waiting for it to be finished so that I read it in it's entirety. I know it will be worth the wait because I just don't find bad stories here by this group of excellent authors. Twenty years ago I could read a dozen or more serialized stories and have no trouble keeping up with them. Now then I have to limit it to a few at a time and the others just wait for that magical "Complete" marker.

Okay, problems with chapter 10 of Bad Boy Gone Good. Starting last Friday the fiber cables used by Level 3 were cut -- 11 times -- by someone with access to the underground vault in Livermore, California. Level 3 is the backbone provider that my ISP, Wave Broadband, uses to connect to the internet. The outage affected internet access by Level 3's customers from the San Francisco Bay Area to Seattle. It's back up now, but the vandals have a key to access the vaults, and they seem insistent on fucking things up for internet users. There's an article here.

Anyway, I struggled with access to the internet over the weekend and finally was able to use a hotspot to connect my laptop to the internet through T-Mobile. Slow access, but access. The copy of chapter 10 of Bad Boy Gone Good on my laptop I thought was the latest, but because I use OneDrive to transfer files and I couldn't access OneDrive, turns out that the copy on my laptop was not up to date. Now that Wave Broadband is up I've just uploaded the finished version of chapter 10. It doesn't have the incomplete sections that were in the unedited version I uploaded on Sunday morning at 4 a.m.

Colin :icon_geek:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It appears that there are two threads going at once for this story, so let me say again that this was a fine finish to a fine story.

It's hard to imagine the denseness of Mrs. Fintch, however, insisting that a police officer claiming to have urgent police business must get in line behind a bunch of students.

R