Ahmed, the Clock Making Boy

Addym Kehris

I've been following this story and found this piece this morning. His news conference is great, but don't stop there...scroll down to the bottom and hear the load of crap from the police and the law he quotes that justified the police actions.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/16/9341309/ahmed-mohamed-school-transfer

Yeah, leave it to Texas to come up with vague laws. Oh yeah, and handcuffing the boy for his safety and the safety of the officers? WTF!!!!!

Oh, and hey, just found this, so thought I'd edit and include it. Picture of the 'clock/bomb' and some of the tweets Ahmed's received.

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/heres-bomb-clock-got-ahmed-mohamed-arrested/

I've been following it to. This country seems to be in a panic state ever since 9/11. George Bush showed his paranoid, and Congress backed him up, with the Patriot Act, probably the worst piece of legislation in the last 80 years. I wish to god they'd repeal it.

Here's part of the fruit of that tree. Everyone is guilty till proven innocent. Even a skinny, bright, innocent 14-year-old boy.

C

On seeing the photo, I can see why a reaction might be warranted. But Cole is right, an overreaction seems to be the flavor of the day.

The problem, I suppose, is that simply checking to see if the device is a bomb probably requires a bomb squad as a prudent measure irrespective of the ethnic origin of the maker.

Or perhaps, just maybe, the teacher could have questioned Ahmed more closely and had him explain what he'd made and why. I ask myself what would have happened if this had been another student who was not a muslim. I've heard nothing in all the coverage that indicated Ahmed has been a vocal or reactionary Muslim. So why the hell assume threat. People who react in fear so easily are a threat themselves, in my opinion. I sure hope that the boy can find a school with more forward thinking people in it. At this rate, all our public schools are going to be resorting to strip searches of their students as they enter the building for the day.

On seeing the photo, I can see why a reaction might be warranted. But Cole is right, an overreaction seems to be the flavor of the day.

The problem, I suppose, is that simply checking to see if the device is a bomb probably requires a bomb squad as a prudent measure irrespective of the ethnic origin of the maker.

But do you really think, if that device had been made by a 14-year-old white girl, there'd have been any commotion at all? I don't. I think his color and ancestry played a huge role. And that's simply wrong. And protected by the Constitution.

C

I don't think a girl would be so treated. A boy would more likely be. Certainly, the shootings in Colorado, Connecticut, etc., by white boys would argue for similar treatment. We've had unconstitutional treatment of minors for carrying a pop tart shaped like a gun, strip searches for ibuprofen, etc. In this instance, failure to have the parents there and failure to respect the need for counsel and the frog-march to the police station were over the top. The school administration did not stand up for the student; I'm not sure they would have for another ethnicity.

If the school administration was not brave enough to inspect the device to see that it was a clock, it should have called the police, sat the student down in the office, let the bomb squad do their work, apologize for not believing the student and resume the school day.

The article I read this morning in one of the NZ newspapers said that he showed it to his first teacher who appeared appreciative, but told him not to show it to any other teacher. It was when the alarm went off in another class and the teacher of that class saw it that things escalated. A pity that the first teacher wasn't able to speak up before things went too far.

Just saw this post and thought it humorous and thought provoking.

I said: it's sad they thought that kid had a bomb.
She said: they didn't think he had a bomb.
I said: yes, they thought he made a bomb and even called the police.
She said: They just wanted to humiliate a little Muslim boy. They didn't think he had a bomb.
I said: Don't be a conspiracy theorist. They might be a little prejudiced, but I'm sure they thought he had a bomb.
She said: OK.
But they didn't evacuate the school, like you do when there's a bomb.
They didn't call a bomb squad - like you do when there's a bomb.
They didn't get as far away from him as possible, like you do when there's a bomb.
Then they put him and the clock in an office: not like you do when there's a bomb
Then they waited with him for the police to arrive, and then they put the clock in the same car as the police.
Then they took pictures of it.

I said: Damn.....They never thought he had a bomb.

EQUAL RIGHTS are HUMAN RIGHTS
The Irving PD, & the School Admin will be rightfully sued.
They can now pay Ahmed's way to MIT.
Thanks.
"They never thought he had a bomb"

Just sharing. LOL

And here we have Sarah Palin weighing in on the issue, as if anything she has to say matters:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/palin-ahmed-was-asking-for-it-when-he-brought-clock-to-school/ar-AAevFsE?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=LENDHP

Sure Sarah, let's discourage all school children from scientific endeavors. I'm sure she feels belittled by a 14 year old boy with brains.