Tom Bosworth - UK athlete comes out

The question is why are we waiting for some high profile sportsmen come out. I happen to know that at least two of the Leicester City Football Club squad are gay and I know that one of the Leicester Tigers Rugby Club players is gay. If people like them from popular sports would come out it would make a major difference to a lot of youngsters.

Well I agree it would great for the sport and great for the gay community if more sportsmen came out - but I don't think anyone should put pressure on individuals to come out. It's a different issue for each person and they must make their decision for themselves not for anyone else. I personally am in no position to harangue anyone to come out - I'm not out to many people myself, for lots of very good reasons.

Well I agree it would great for the sport and great for the gay community if more sportsmen came out - but I don't think anyone should put pressure on individuals to come out. It's a different issue for each person and they must make their decision for themselves not for anyone else. I personally am in no position to harangue anyone to come out - I'm not out to many people myself, for lots of very good reasons.

I fully agree, nobody should put pressure on individuals to come out. What we must do is make a society where they feel no pressure not to come out. At the moment the sportsmen I referred to above travel some distance from Leicester to enjoy their sexuality - probably feeling that they are safe from being recognised. Unfortunately for them the place they go to is in my home town and I have seen them there a couple of times. Fortunately for them I appreciate that they want to keep their sexuality under wraps and have no intention of exposing them. I just find it a shame that they feel they must hide who they are.

Race walking is not a sport I know much about. But Tom Bosworth can walk (not run) 20Km, nearly 12.5miles, in a little over an hour and a quarter. My flabber has seldom been so ghasted.

I used to do race walking as a pre-teen. I was actually quite good, making the district finals one year (the last year I raced). I was, sadly, disqualified -- something I didn't find out until the end of the race (three warnings was a disqualification and I had two judges give me warnings, but I then learnt that the chief judge's warnings count as two, so instead of finishing 6th and qualifying for the state finals, I was disqualified).

My father was also into race walking (he was my coach), though I didn't find out he'd competed in the Australian championships as a race walker until it was mentioned at his funeral. He had to give up the sport due to a heart condition.

Coming out in any public arena isn't easy, so best of luck to Tom Bosworth. I hope it all works out for him :smile:

I took one look at Tom and thought, 'Wow! That's Freddie Hightower's and Asa Butterfield's love child.' OK, so my thoughts tend to be screwed up a bit.

C

A bit ??!! Good grief. The gynecological problems alone are monumental. So do let us know how the experiments go. :biggrin:

Oh, you're worried about gynecological problems, Chris. I'm not. I'll leave that up for sci-fi fans to work out. They have endless theories about this sort to thing. Wasn't our past governator in a movie once when he was preggers? Of course he was. No, the problem here wouldn't be gynecological, but social. There's at least a ten-year age gap between the two. That would have many fine folk gasping for air at the politically incorrectness of it. That's the real problem here. The two would have to keep the pregnancy hidden to avoid social scathing.

C