Donald Trump's foolishness

Chris James

He says things just to be controversial, but then so do most foul mouthed comedians. This week we have his latest outrage, and it's a doozy:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-says-would-consider-closing-some-us-mosques/ar-BBn4Yaq?li=BBgzzfc&ocid=LENDHP

Imagine a U.S President shutting down religious institutions just because he doesn't like what they are preaching. Hell, Trump could ask me and I'd give him a whole list of Christian religious organizations that need to be shuttered and shut up.

Perhaps The Donald has forgotten about our Constitution and the religious freedoms it protects. But then we don't have to worry about Donald making it to the White House, he is going to implode very soon. Some radical Christians may agree with his argument about closing mosques but then they probably understand that something like that puts a target on their backs as well.

The best way to do away with radical Islam is to support those who seek peace in that religion. These are the people who will toss out the radicals, or at least report them to the authorities. This ISIS style cult of hate does not develop in a vacuum and many Muslims know who they are and where they live.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In this case I agree with you completely, in both senses of "Trump's" ... Trump's (possessive) and Trump Is (contraction). Sadly, it's more than just 'out there' Christians who seem to agree. There are members of numerous religious organizations who've expressed their concurrence and quite a few atheists who've latched onto opposition to radical Islam as the opening gambit in an effort to shut down churches universally.

What really concerns me is that a lot of folks have an understanding of politics that's more akin to watching "reality" television than dealing with the real world. In less than a year we'll be voting for one of the current class of clowns to take the responsibility for providing leadership over this place. That's a scary thought.

As for Muslims who can report on their brethren and help dial things down, I'll believe it when I see it. Fear is a mighty powerful weapon in the hands of those willing to wield it. Those who know things will have to be beyond heroic to come forward. But I hope that you're right.

As a contrast, here's the response of an Australian Muslim from one of the prime-time TV shows to what's happened in Paris:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/the-projects-waleed-aly-praised-for-unity-message-in-the-wake-of-paris-attacks-20151116-gl0fz9.html

I think we should all play close attention to what Waleed Aly has to say.

As a contrast, here's the response of an Australian Muslim from one of the prime-time TV shows to what's happened in Paris:

I've watched this clip several times now, and find a mixed message. He acknowledges right at the start that ISIL would be soundly defeated if they had to fight a real battle against a united world. But he then goes on with "puppies and flowers chat" about how we really shouldn't do that, but we should all love one another. Blech. Defeat them.

When any group of people declares war on civilization, it is incumbent upon civilization to give them what they want: clear, decisive war. Not some paltry half-baked response to "contain" them, which, according to Mr. Obama, has now suffered a "setback" in Paris. Unless, of course, we don't mind our jetliners being blown out of the sky, nightclubs dissolving in automatic weapons fire, and boys in the ISIL territories being machine gunned. (Note that the "fierce" French response was to drop 20 bombs on ISIS facilities -- the bomb capacity of a single B-17 in 1944.)

Confederate General Robert E. Lee is credited with saying, "Indeed it is good that war is so terrible, lest we grow too fond of it." Well, ISIL is reminding us that war isn't an endless conflict between drones operated out of an air conditioned office thousands of miles away. It's ugly and horrible. Let's end it once and for all. Then we can love one another in peace.

Let's end it once and for all. Then we can love one another in peace.

I wish it were that easy. In past wars there was an apparent enemy to fight, and apparent targets to take. These people will fall back into the shadows when attacked by significant ground forces. They'll vanish into the population, and wait for us to leave.

But I do agree with your point that defeating them soundly, so soundly that remnants of their main body won't want to take up the fight in the war's aftermath, is an excellent idea. Rid the world of this plague.

C

The problem with Trump's statements is that given 30 years of promises for immigration reforms, we've gotten nada from either party.

Democrats want- basically new democrats and Republicans are being asked by their masters for cheap labor. Neither serves the country or the people.

In some cases American workers are being laid off and asked to train H1-B visa workers to take over. (Disney & HP have done this)

Trump is taking the lies and 30 years of frustration over illegal immigration (and scam immigration) and is clubbing the democrats and GOP over the head with it. They had their chance to do something but chose other agendas over the good of the country.

Some people are saying that Saturday's attack in Paris and O'bama's tone deaf response to it just handed Trump the Oval Office on a silver platter.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Scam immigration- is when companies like HP complain that they can't find qualified workers and get the boys in Washington to grant H1-B visa to 3rd worlders who will work for dog food. Their real complain is that they don't want to pay Americans competitive wages for the skill sets that those companies want. Those skills aren't easy or cheap to develop in the US.

Some people are saying that Saturday's attack in Paris and O'bama's tone deaf response to it just handed Trump the Oval Office on a silver platter.

All of which reminds us what a sage Thomas Jefferson was when in his Notes on the State of Virgnia he wrote:

Indeed I fear for my country when I reflect that God is just.

Now The Donald is talking about a mandatory National Identity Cards for Muslims...needless to say the Muslim and Jewish communities are aghast. Perhaps Trump doesn't see the correlation with Nazi Germany, but others do.

The Muslim terrorist we should most be concerned about is the leader of Syria, President Assad. Half his country is in the hands of ISIS and yet he attacks those who would fight against them. Sure it isn't good to have rebels trying to overthrow you, but a genocidal maniac needs to be replaced.

The label Syrian terrorist seems to be a misnomer in many ways. A lot of the ISIS soldiers are Syrian while the leadership comes from the ranks of the former Iraqi military under Saddam. ISIS is a collection of dispossessed individuals who are condemned by most other Islamic people as violators of the Quran.

As I see it the only way out of this mess is to wipe out Assad, destroy the economic based of the Syrian nation, and kill a lot of civilians in the process. ISIS has already proven it can disburse around the globe and it will continue to do so bringing their brand of terrorism to many other nations. The French have the right idea: shoot them on sight.

Now The Donald is talking about a mandatory National Identity Cards for Muslims...needless to say the Muslim and Jewish communities are aghast. Perhaps Trump doesn't see the correlation with Nazi Germany, but others do.

And precisely how one to tell is someone is a Muslim? While it is true there are a number of dress attributes a Muslim might observe, not all do, and ethnically, some Muslims are white Caucasians. Perhaps they need to have a yellow star or a pink triangle badge sewn on their clothes.

Someone ought buy that idiot a history book...

I think you're misreading The Donald. I think he does see the correlation and has no problem with it. Think of his mien and rage. Don't you think the title Fuher would fit him? Don't you think he'd like that title, the job that comes with it, and the idea of perhaps having it more that four or eight years?

C

Donald Trump has never used his own money on anything.. He sells his name as a brand and he's not embarrassed to say so.

Each one of these contenders are salesmen and that includes the Democrats.

That's what they do. They could just as easily be selling Oxi-Clean on the HomeShopping Network.

Both women candidates have stood before us and announced that they are up for sale to the military.

These people are not leaders, they aren't even statesmen, they are proxies.

Should this nation lose it's collective mind and elect The Donald then I think he will find himself impeached within the first 100 days...he might even like the notoriety...it's a little like bankruptcy.

This new bunch of self labeled reformers seem to have a third grade approach to government and what they say only confirms their ignorance of our history. Ben Carson just said none of the Founding Fathers in our nation had any government experience. That is to say in his thoughts that ignorance can rule without any concerns. Of course he was wrong in his statement since all of that First Congress were appointed to office by the State Assemblies where they had served local government.

Jefferson, Franklin, and Adams had lots of experience and forged a nation. The Donald and Carson display a great ignorance of Constitutional law with gusto...and yet they seem to be in such favor with the GOP voters. Those who would have this novice class of politicians in the White House are said to be furious with the inactivity of the current government, but the argument is a sham.

Congress has been the biggest impediment to this nation's progress. And in case you doubt that just count the number of Tea Party affiliates who refuse to negotiate and have threatened the stability of government time and again. A rational person would see that this nation is an expensive proposition, especially in times of military activity across the globe. Someone needs to rescind the American credit card and lower the debt. Taxes are the only way to pay down that debt but don't ask a Republican to raise taxes...how soon they forget about Reagan's tax burden.

I still think we could eliminate our debt if we outsource our government to India where employees work for pennies instead of dollars. Of course they would be inefficient, but is that any different than what we have now?

We've seen the effect of having a president in officewho lacked much government or executive experience because that's the case with our current one. Most all the ideas we here were so excited about when he took office came to naught because he wasn't savvy or experienced enough to promulgate them against a recalcitrant congress.

Do we want four or eight more years of that? I certainly don't.

C

So Cole, I guess you are saying we have to elect Hillary as the one candidate with the most government experience. Don't mention Jeb, he fumbled the ball in Florida at every turn. Rubio, Cruz, and Huckabee would like to see this nation as a theocracy. Unfortunately for them Jesus isn't in the Constitution and he isn't a citizen. He died at age 33 so he didn't even live long enough to qualify for president.

The issue with Obama is that the GOP's tactics from day one was to obstruct anything the president put forth....and they admit it. So much for the two party system. India is sounding better all the time.

Yes, Obama was obstructed, but I think a more seasoned leader would have found ways around that. I don't know that, of course, but I think a more politically savvy operative with more real-world experience, and with the solid support from the citizenry that Obama had, would have found a way.

Hilary has that experience. I don't know much of anything about Kasich, but he does have executive branch experience in Ohio and was in the House for several terms. He might qualify, and certainly more than Obama did going in.

C

At the moment, it does rather look like the eventual election choice will be between Mr. Trump and Mrs. Clinton. Of course it's still early in the race, a meteor could strike the planet at any time and absolve us from the necessity to choose, so I remain optimistic.

In fact, however, those two are likely the best two out there based on their tremendous levels of experience.

Trump has filed for bankruptcy four times now. He has the background necessary to lead us through a national bankruptcy that would free us from our overseas indebtedness. Of course Medicare and Social Security will be gone, but what the hell - old people don't count anyways.

And as for Mrs. Clinton, can you name any person in the history of our nation who has been so thoroughly lied to about what was really going on inside the Oral Office while she lived upstairs ? She'll hit the ground running and never look back.

Let's have the election today and be done with it.

• 2 weeks later...

How many people really care about the Trump factor, as he slowly sinks in the polls. I am beginning to believe he doesn't want to be president but his ego said that's the way to become popular...and he so wants to be popular, and adored...Look at Me!

Watching his political mood swings is like watch a television game show and wondering what the prize is behind door number 3. But today he comes out with this zinger to top all of his zingers:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-calls-for-complete-shutdown-on-muslims-entering-us/ar-AAg86Ic?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=LENDHP

Looking at this you might think he is trying to push people into joining ISIS so that we cam bomb the hell out of them. Not gonna work.

Wow! An honest politician? Donald Trump no less?

The reporter asks how he's going to solve a problem. He acknowledges he's clueless and wants the press to solve it for him. The bonus, of course, is that when the solution doesn't work it's not even Don's fault. Brilliant!

The Age of Miracles is yet upon us.

Trump will not be elected should he obtain the nomination. You can elect a US president from the center-left, or the center-right; but you must have the center and Trump will not capture that.

Cruz and Carson are statistically close to Trump but... I'm not sure either one would be much better.

The stupider the stuff he says, the more ground Trump seems to gain.

I used to think he would put his hoof in his mouth and be done.

Unfortunately, the deeper he steps in it, the better he seems to do.

I'm absolutely sure that somewhere in DC, there is a group of political consultants getting stinking drunk and wondering WTF happened.

Trump is a maroon (a la the old Bugs Bunny cartoons they still show on cable — I don't know what it meant, but it was always derogatory and very funny).

Colin :icon_geek:

As I said earlier, I don't see a viable Republican candidate because all the major players are too radical. There isn't a centrist among them, and I agree with Joe that to win you have to have someone who captures the middle, or at the very least that the middle can tolerate. Who is that among this group?

I can easily see the Republican party splintering into another party leaning to the far right. I just hope it doesn't become our own ISIS.

C

Donald Trump is simply the greatest thing that's happened to the Democratic Party in decades.

Someday, after all is said and done, an author will step forward with the "true" story that Don's candidacy was cooked up in the DemoDonkey's Kitchen to demolish the Republicans once and for all. His unretracted threat to run as a third-party candidate should he not win the Repub nomination weighs heavily on the Elephants. They know only that whether he wins or loses that nomination their party will be shattered. Meanwhile, the Dems could run Jeffrey Dahmer and take the White House.