Drake's Coming Out

dude

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Drake.

How times change. When I was his age in the 1960s I had never met an openly gay male. Not one among the 1200 boys in our school, nor any in our (large) village. I came across none at university either (another 6000 or so).

Of course, with my closet door tightly shut my view of the world wasn't that good either.

Well done Drake.

How times change. When I was his age in the 1960s I had never met an openly gay male. Not one among the 1200 boys in our school, nor any in our (large) village. I came across none at university either (another 6000 or so).

Of course, with my closet door tightly shut my view of the world wasn't that good either.

During this same period pairs of adult males frequently and openly lived together, and were recognized by their communities as roommates who chose to share housing in order to save on expenses. My tiny home town of less than 5000 souls had several such pairings, and although they may have been whispered about they were accepted. Of course they never appeared in public as a couple.

1100 boys at my high school, and I can vouch for at least four of them being engaged in exploring their puberty with each other, my self included.

Obviously the teachers chose to ignore the 'phase' that the boys were going through. In hindsight, I'm surprised that the teachers of second year didn't wear some kind of mask to filter out the pheromones that filled the classroom. I found out later in life that not all high schools were as tolerant as mine.