First Year by Cole Parker

The point-of-view in many fine tales often turns out to be a retrospective one, but Cole rarely announces it within one of his stories. Makes me wonder just where this plot is going, and how complicated it is going to get...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am always amazed at the skill set it takes to be an author. Offering the characters in an activity with such familiarity as Cole does in his latest chapter...so either he has the experience or spent a lot of time researching the subject. Either way it brings the boy's characters forward yet again​ and I am enjoying their struggles. Good story, Cole.

I was just curious about the fact that, after Mike's shrewd effort to get Sutton and Luke together, nothing really sparked. Granted Luke is shy and not outgoing, but it almost seemed like the "real" Sutton was somehow kind of a disappointment to Luke at this outing. We'll have to see what develops I guess!

R

If anyone had doubts that Sutton would return to the story...well, Chapter 8 certainly blows that away (snicker).​

I was just puzzled by his disappearance at the end of chapter 6 -- I was expecting some aftermath from the first day of rowing and the first significant contact between Luke and Sutton.

Weird time jump between chapter 7 and chapter 8.

R

Should we find it surprising that Dr. Rettington is so out of touch with the workings of the school that a rogue housemaster can pervert the morals of Kennilworth House, or a Mrs. Mitchell can keep failing students for supposed cheating without anyone noticing over a period of years? I do.

And -- we want to know what happened with her, and whether her grade records will be audited to determine how many students she has penalized unfairly.

And yes, people do have a low opinion of lawyers until they need one.

R

More and more I'm picturing Frank as an old man sitting by the fire in his rocking chair, a couple of wide-eyed nephews or grandkids crowded around listening to one of those fabulous grandpa tales nobody else can tell. And loving every minute of it!

And now, alas, the Final Chapter. Wonderfully done.

Lucky for us Cole has titled it "First Year" so that must mean we'll be treated to Second, Third, Fourth, and The University Years! (or not)

I'm thinking this story might be a good candidate for the young reader as is being discussed in the "Writers Rule" thread. I would also throw in "On the High Plains of Wyoming" and maybe "Duck Duck Goose." It's hard to choose.

I'm now re-reading this whole story and picking up details I missed earlier. I'm still trying to figure out the "boy with the devilish eyes." I'm guessing he must be the second student described by Rettngton as "hanging by a thread" (along with Joe) named Chad or Chet.

The last chapter leaves us with a lot of questions about Frank. What was he doing at the train station -- just hanging around waiting for students to pick on? Rettington theorized that Frank would find some other school and not come back to Banyard after his suspension, but it seems as though maybe he has just dropped out of school.

Anyway, very cool story with a lot of great high points. I admit that the beginning was tough to get through, but it certainly does set up the rest of the story very powerfully.

R

I know Cole doesn't do sequels, but perhaps a stand-alone story about Sutton (I have a soft spot in my heart for horny redheads)-- possibly finding real love and discovering that he doesn't need to bed every new student. There are so many great characters in this work who deserve their own stories. I think this story ranks up there with Duck Duck Goose or Josh Evolving, both of which I nominate for a Dude's Pick.