155-year-old mousetrap still works

This is the part I liked best:

"For the moment, however, the mouse remains in the trap while we decide what to do with it," the museum said.

"One option is a dignified burial, another is to desiccate it or have it prepared to remain as a permanent feature of the mouse trap for our new displays."

Needs must.

I agree, Cole. It appears that the design is such that it kills the mouse by starvation. Not a humane way to go, though to be far, treating animals humanely wasn't a high priority 155 years ago.

Don't the modern 'humane' super glue traps work pretty much the same way? Unless you run your trap line a few times a day I'd guess they're just stuck until they're dead? And even if you find one...?

If they decide to leave the mouse in the trap, it won't be around for long and will stink the place up.

Where I worked, they use to use those flip traps to live catch mice. You could then place the whole trap in a bucket of water and drown the mouse.

We had one Custodian who took the trap outside to release the mouse. The mouse was back in the building before he was.

Yes Cole, we had a colony of mice who thought that the cavity in our wall was a bungalow built for their inhabitation.

However, since we gave our latest cat free reign over the house, I am pleased to announce the mice have either emigrated to another housing development or have supplemented the cat's diet. I suspect the latter.