Escape by Bruin Fisher

The moment I started to read this story I started to dread the end. Without any specifics there seems to be an inevitability about it from the start but you are dragged along to it by captivating and compelling writing. The sense of a dystopian society that surrounds the events described are provided not by any description from the writer, just by the readers imagination that is triggered by a few hints and carefully constructed phrases.

The frightening thing is that the possibility that Bruin envisages is feasible. Maybe not in the exact way that it is identified here but within the general concept of a scientific means of identifying a homosexual and what the consequences of that would be in an intolerant society.

A story well worth reading and it can be found at:

Escape by Bruin Fisher

I've now read it, and other than saying, so should you, I can't add much in the clear to what Nigel has said as virtually every remark I could make could be construed as a spoiler. So if you've read it, click here

Very much a story noir (black). The references to technology are delightful as they place the story in the future, but don't tie it down and the story could still read correctly 50 years from now. As a rule, that is not true for most science fiction.

Probably in the same universe as 'Please come with me' by Douglas, but quite a few years later.

Bruin never fails to seduce the reader with possibilities, past or present that paint a picture of the future. I can imagine a movie inspired by this story.

Bruin never fails to seduce the reader with possibilities, past or present that paint a picture of the future. I can imagine a movie inspired by this story.

Yes, I can see a film too. Mostly with reduced colour, but perhaps with a bit more when Hal is thinking back about Jan.

Thanks everyone for your very kind comments.

I'm amazed that some saw it as a film script; I need to tell the story of its gestation.

A month ago I was part of a team who entered a competition. The Sci-Fi London festival in collaboration with the British Film Institute run an annual competion - to create a five minute film in 48 hours. Hundreds of teams enter each year. The organisers give the teams a title, a line of dialogue and an action involving a prop, at the beginning of the 48 hour period to ensure the teams don't cheat and do a lot of the work beforehand.

The theme assigned to my team was: "One can medically un-remember any event, but the memory is stored by the removers". During the brainstorming, several storylines were put forward including one from me - which I've now written up as a short story and posted here as Escape. The team went with a different story, but I thought mine had legs and I didn't want it to go to waste.

So you were right - my story was originally intended to be a film!

In case anyone is interested, our film was shortlisted in the final ten, but didn't win. We're happy with that outcome - it was our first attempt, one of the winners had been trying for six years and got to third place...

Bruin - I've been thinking about this and I think the reason is, you start the story in a minimalistic manner and effectively are setting the scene. Good short films often start this way as there is no time for detail and thus everything is pertinent. I'm not describing myself well but hopefully you can see what I'm getting at.