Hanged vs Hung

Graeme

There have been some recent discussions in one of the columns of The Sydney Morning Herald regarding hanged vs hung. I thought I'd quote the following and ask for comment:

Ned Kelly was sentenced to 'hang by the neck'. He was hanged at Melbourne Gaol, where he had hung around for a while, and after the trap swung, he hung there until the hanging was complete and he was hanged. Fortunately the jury was not hung. He was clothed, so the status of his 'hungness' is indeterminate.
There have been some recent discussions in one of the columns of The Sydney Morning Herald regarding hanged vs hung. I thought I'd quote the following and ask for comment:
Ned Kelly was sentenced to 'hang by the neck'. He was hanged at Melbourne Gaol, where he had hung around for a while, and after the trap swung, he hung there until the hanging was complete and he was hanged. Fortunately the jury was not hung. He was clothed, so the status of his 'hungness' is indeterminate.

Nowhere in the article does it say if you're hung. I thought, as a professional courtesy, I should point that out.

"Wow, I'll be hanged. He's well hung."

Hanged - When someone is or was hanged by a noose, a hanging.

Hung - Otherwise, use hung. To hang, hangs, hanging, hung, had hung.

Intransitive (no object receives the action)

The picture hung there.

He was well hung. You could say he was a lucky stiff.

He was hanging around.

Transitive (an object receives the action)

He hung around with his friends.

He hangs out by the pool with them.

I'm reminded of the memorable scene from the excellent 1973 Mel Brooks movie Blazing Saddles, where one character exclaims, "Bart! But they said you was hung!"

And Bart replies, "and they was right!"

I was so naive, I honestly didn't know what this meant until it was pointed out to me. Aaaaa, I was a total geek back then.