Joe

A Captain and his Sailor

Here's another book I'm trying to add to my library but read a long time ago and cannot remember title or author.

The principal characters are in the Royal Navy during Edwardian times moving into WW I. One is a four ring captain in the RN who is tortured by his sexuality and resolves to end it all. During some situation at sea, he flings himself into the sea in the expectation that he will drown. However, a young sailor plunges into the sea and rescues his captain and their relationship develops from there.

Later, the captain will serve heroically in a naval battle (I think it was some kind of a raid) and would have received the Victoria Cross except somehow, his sexuality became known and the decoration refused him as he was gay.

I hope this rings a bell with someone out there so I can reread this excellent story. Best,

Joe

Well, i don't think I've read this one, but I know I'd like to. Big fan of maritime stories, I read lots of age of sail stuff.