Democratic National Convention

Michelle's speech was the highlight so far. Bernie's speech demanding that his followers vote for Hillary was even more important, but not as riveting. Cory Bookers' was excellent as well... in fact, all the speeches at the DNC were substantive.

I wonder how many words "The Donald" will find that he can say Michelle Obama "plagiarized" from Melania's speech.

Colin :icon_geek:

​Managed to look through the highlights of the Democratic Convention last evening and Michelle Obama gave a wonderful speech. You know it had to be tough for Bernie Sanders but he did the right thing and didn't pull a Ted Cruz on Hillary.

​A glimpse also revealed only one article on Trump who said that Bernie gave up, a wasted effort. Let's hope come November that Bernie gets to return the favor and smack down Trump as a loser.

​It might be interesting to see Bernie take a post in Hillary's administration.

Well, it's all up to Hillary now. The President (and his speech writers) did a superb job tonight, so it'll be Hillary who either knocks it out of the park or goes away with a ground rule double.

My favorite lines in Mr. Obama's speech were:

"We don't look to be ruled!"

"The American dream is something no wall can contain!" (Best of the night.)

"Democracy isn't a spectator sport." (Not original, but well delivered.)

"I don't know if they had their birth certificates, but they were there." (Speaking of his Irish immigrant ancestors.)

"Homegrown demagogues will always fail in the end."

The only slight misstep I noticed was during Biden's speech when he referred to bullying victims and how they should stand strong - coming the day after Australian teen Stuart Kelly's death, attributed in one report to suicide. But Biden's intent was good. Just the timing was bad.

So far, a much more palatable presentation than The Other Guys.

The only slight misstep I noticed was during Biden's speech when he referred to bullying victims and how they should stand strong - coming the day after Australian teen Stuart Kelly's death, attributed in one report to suicide. But Biden's intent was good. Just the timing was bad.

The story about Stuart Kelly's death wasn't on the TV or radio here, or in the newspapers, either. Chris, can you post a link to the story here?

Even though Kelly is a very common family name, it's possible he could be a relative.

Colin Kelly :icon_geek:

Stuart Kelly's death was (last time I looked) not deemed suspicious. However, prompted by Chris's comment, I've checked and, yes, there are unconfirmed news reports that he took his own life.

There's background information in the above links, but those who are just skimming this thread, when Stuart was 14, his older brother was killed by a single punch from a dunk in Sydney. Some people blame the publicity from that incident for current laws affecting the nightclub crowds, and the second link above says that he was bullied online as a consequence.

Sorry about that. Stuart was 14 years old when his older brother, whom he called is best friend, was killed in a one-punch attack. Stuart, parents and sister took up the cause to reduce drunken hooliganism and led the fight for some laws which reduce drinking hours. For that, the boy was apparently tormented for years, and was found dead yesterday:

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-and-culture/stuart-kelly-copped-relentless-bullying-after-lock/7d0dcbbc-208f-44e2-9781-e9b2c340c288.htm

Stuart was an incredible public speaker as can be seen here in a presentation he made regarding his brother's death:

https://youtu.be/LUG4g14ByXU

Stuart Kelly's death was (last time I looked) not deemed suspicious. However, prompted by Chris's comment, I've checked and, yes, there are unconfirmed news reports that he took his own life.

There's background information in the above links, but those who are just skimming this thread, when Stuart was 14, his older brother was killed by a single punch from a dunk in Sydney. Some people blame the publicity from that incident for current laws affecting the nightclub crowds, and the second link above says that he was bullied online as a consequence.

Thanks for the link, Graeme. It's sad if Stuart Kelly had committed suicide. I'd prefer to live a life that celebrated the other person, a brother or sister or spouse. But that's me, and not anyone else.

My parents told me that we have no known relatives in Australia.

Colin :icon_geek: