The Man Who Fell in Love with the Moon

Guest rusticmonk86

Guest rusticmonk86

If you're the devil, this isn't me.

I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in the Wild West, Gay fiction, and Native Americans. Great writing. If someone else has read it and has a little more energy to tell people about this book, please do. Otherwise, it's just me, just woken up, with just enough energy to mention The Man Who Fell in Love with the Moon. By Tom Spanbaugher.

Guest rusticmonk86
Spanbauer's second novel (the first was Faraway Places, Putnam, 1988) is the bittersweet story of a boy growing up with hard-drinking whores and assorted misfits at the end of Idaho's gold rush. Although his real name is Duivichi-un-Dua, he is also known as Shed. At times, Shed isn't sure who is crazier: the God-fearing citizens of his hometown Excellent, or his adopted family of whores and their admirers at the Indian Head Hotel. Other times, being half Indian, half white, and bisexual makes Shed crazy too. But Shed has a special strength he calls "killdeer," his own code of trust and self-preservation. Crazy or not, Shed tells what he calls his "human-being story" in a true and honest voice. Spanbauer's masterful plot is delightfully unpredictable and compelling. However, some readers may be offended by the unbridled sexuality of his characters. Recommended for large fiction collections.

- Janet W. Reit, Univ. of Vermont Lib., Burlington

Copyright 1991 Reed Business Information, Inc