Aussie Gay Retirement Village

Reported in Adelaide Now

July 18, 2008 11:30pm

A $26 MILLION exclusive gay-only retirement village has been cleared to open in Victoria.

An Australian first, developers have dubbed the village a haven for gay, lesbian and transgender elders.

Plans for the project, at Ballan, north-west of Melbourne, were approved this week by Moorabool Shire despite community objections.

The development, Linton Estate, will feature a tennis court, bowling green, open-air theatre and a multi-million-dollar leisure centre which will house a swimming pool, spa, gymnasium, cafe, restaurant, piano room, business centre and a section dedicated to health and wellbeing.

Managing director and major shareholder Peter Dickson said the project would provide a haven for the older members of the gay and lesbian community.

"I put myself in the place of people. And whether we're in a relationship or whether we're single, we want to be surrounded by friends," Mr Dickson said.

"I want to do it different to anything that's around.

"There are a lot of lonely people out there, and older people are the history of Australia.

"I wanted Linton Estate to be different to other retirement facilities and this has now come about, it's a wonderful achievement for all."

Four objections to the proposed village were received by council.

But Moorabool Shire Mayor, Dianne McAuliffe, said planning process did not take an interest in who would live at the facility.

Article: Full text

Early retirement anyone?

:applause[1]: