Oscar winner Dustin Lance Black on Gay Rights (2/22/09)

The Pecman

The man who won the Oscar for writing the film Milk, Dustin Lance Black, gave a very moving acceptance speech at the ceremony this past Sunday night, and it brought tears to my eyes.

For those who missed it, you can see the video clips at this link. Here's part of what Black said:

"When I was 13 years old, my beautiful mother and my father moved me from a conservative Mormon home in San Antonio, Texas, to California and I heard the story of Harvey Milk. And it gave me hope. It gave me the hope to live my life, it gave me the hope to one day live my life openly as who I am and that maybe even I could fall in love and one day get married.

"If Harvey Milk were alive today, I think he’d want me to say to all of the gay and lesbian children out there who have been told that they are less than by their churches or by the government or by their families that you are beautiful, wonderful creatures who have value. No matter what anybody tells you, God does love you and that very soon you will have equal rights federally across this great nation of ours."

As far as I'm concerned, this was the highlight of the recent Academy Awards show. I hope a lot of young would-be writers and filmmakers saw it, and I hope that gay kids out there will get some inspiration and hope out of what Mr. Black had to say.