Closeted AMERICAN IDOL Contestants (3-10-2009)

There's been a lot of speculation in the U.S. press that at least one of the "final 13" contestants on the show is gay, leading to a lot of interesting gossip and innuendo.

The fact that the guy in question -- Adam Lambert -- is uncommonly talented and good-looking, and has a musical theater background, is fueling the rumors.

The story is covered in today's LA TIMES

and here on the Vote for the Worst website.

Lambert has not gone (ahem) either way on confirming or denying the rumors, but it's an interesting question: can a contemporary pop singer come out before he or she ever has a hit? It worked fine for Elton John, Clay Aiken, and a handful of others, but then there's question marks like Barry Manilow and many others who have never done more than peeked out of the closet.

I'm bummed because the character in my current novel, Pieces of Destiny, was eventually going to be the first "out" character on Idol -- only I haven't gotten that far in the story yet. :lol: Eh, it'll happen eventually.

Dunno if you guys have any reaction, but I'm following the story with interest. Even if you hate the show, this is a compelling side-attraction. And at least to me, this Lambert kid is the most drop-dead gorgeous contestant in show history. (Ironically, he's a natural blond who dyes his hair jet black. Heavy eye-liner, too... not that there's anything wrong with that.)

And then there's Ryan Seacrest... who many have speculated... Naaa, I'll leave that one to your imaginations.

If you folks aren't watching the show, watch it this week, when Adam sings Michael Jackson's hit "In the Closet." (Not a joke -- he's really going to sing it.) Can't wait for it. The guy's got balls, I'll say that for him.

Yeah, Perez Hilton has been having lots of fun about this on his website. I'll say this: Lambert is a really hot-looking guy. I'm befuddled as to why he didn't stay a natural blond and instead went for this black "Goth" look. Bizarre. But no question, the kid can sing (albeit a bit flamboyantly).

Now, excuse me while I run off to watch this week's installment of Idol...