Ride, Sally, Ride

The country's most famous teacher...at least for a while:

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2012/07/sally-ride-first-u-s-woman-in-space-dies-of-cancer-comes-out-in-obituary/

A pioneer in space, Sally Ride did so much more here on Earth. Her inspiration has allowed young girls to see a future in science and math. I know of one elementary school in Maryland named after this woman...and yet, how will society react to the knowledge that she was a lesbian.

I guess it was known in the space community, kinda hard to keep something like that secret in such close quarters with fellow astronauts. But the premier woman of the American space program was lesbian and a member of the gay community. I wonder how well that will sit?

This is of course a wonderfully useful teachable moment. See, Kids, gay people are a part of our scientifric community as well. Sally Ride never used her sexual identity to further the cause of gay rights and I can respect that. She had a larger goal of assuring the minds and hearts of those young ladies she encouraged to work hard and become something grand. I am sure there are hundreds of women in science today because of her positive image.

The mainstream media just mentions her partner and makes no comment on Sally's sexuality. I am encouraged by this, just as I am certain that the wingnuts out there will soon jump into the fray. It took amazing courage to strap into a rocket ship for space travel, something her cowardly detractors could never claim about themselves. We should miss Sally. She gave life one hell of a ride.

The mainstream media just mentions her partner and makes no comment on Sally's sexuality. I am encouraged by this, just as I am certain that the wingnuts out there will soon jump into the fray. It took amazing courage to strap into a rocket ship for space travel, something her cowardly detractors could never claim about themselves. We should miss Sally. She gave life one hell of a ride.

I totally agree, Chris. Who's business is it to know, or care, who I go to bed with every night? I've told people, "Don't call me gay just because I happen to be in love with another guy. There's nothing gay about that. It's normal for me and my partner."

Trouble is, we're not there yet. But soon, despite the efforts and hate mongering of the wingnut preachers.

Colin :icon_geek:

In a world where it is still difficult for girls to make it in engineering and science, Sally Ride can be an inspiration. And, to GLBT kids, she can be an example that sexuality doesn't matter; skill, ability, and integrity matter.

And, Chris, that's a great title for this thread.

And, Chris, that's a great title for this thread.

Credit Lou Reed for that title. In 1974 he published the album Sally Can't Dance and Ride, Sally, Ride was the signature track. Then nine years later Sally Ride blasted off into space and the song was revived, or at least the title. Typical of Lou Reed, the lyrics of the song were sexually oriented although not offensively so, and they had nothing to say about astronauts.

And this morning the mainstream media has made their contribution about Sally Ride:

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/24/12933519-why-sally-ride-waited-until-her-death-to-tell-the-world-she-was-gay?lite