Veteran's Day 2006

rick

In all the excitement surrounding the upcoming change in the American government, let us not forget that there are still young American and European men and women in harms way, doing their level best in a situation that has become untenable at best.

While those of us who frequent AD are not generally welcome in the armed forces of the United States, there are many of us who have served, and others who continue to serve, with honor and distinction. Please don't make the old mistake of confusing the instrument of national policy, those who are tasked with carrying out their orders through unpleasant things like combat, with those who set the policy in the first place.

With that thought in mind, I ask that you take a moment tomorrow, on the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month, Veteran's Day 2006, to remember that thin blue line of military people, of all nations, whose service keeps the wolf from all our doors.

For those of you with military backgrounds, like myself, I'd like to pass along a request from the Secretary of Veterans Affairs that all veterans wear their medals tomorrow, in honor of those who have served, as well as those who are serving today.

Rick