Caveat Emptor: Windows Vista

Abraxas

I'm in the process of building a new system for home and was doing my homework on operating systems when a friend sent me a link to the article you can read by following the link below. Needless to say, when this information is compiled with everything else I've read, it looks like it will be a cold day in he** before I buy Windows Vista as currently configured. I don't think Linux is an option since I have software compatibility issues with work, meaning I have to stay with a microscrew OS, especially since no-one writes game software for Linux (that I'm aware of anyway). Looks like I need to run out and get a copy of XP 64 before Gates and Ballmer take it off the market.

Microsoft is undermining everything we have become accustomed to with PC's by, essentially, closing down the traditionally open architecture of the PC with all this blasted DRM. If there was one person in the world who could have brought this DRM nonsense to its knee's, it was Bill Gates, and he's caved to the interests of the Hollywood studios. Don't believe me?

Read on by following the link below. It is one of the more thorough and damning reviews I've seen yet. Warning: it is a long article.

Or, you can run out and join those rushing to drink the kool-aid.

Abraxas, NCE, IEEE

Link to An Analysis of the Costs of Windows Vista

I think people are overreacting to the DRM crap. If you don't want to suffer from the problems of Digital Rights Management, don't buy audio, video, or computer software online.

There will always be a way to rip, copy, or otherwise duplicate any audio or video signal, as long as hackers can breathe.

The two best things I can say about Vista are: 1) it's more secure than XP, and 2) it looks nicer than XP. Both those two things are good. The rest of it is not going to affect most people, particularly business users.

You wanna see bad DRM, take a look at the Zune. Yeeeesh... I'll take a regular iPod any day over that piece o' dirt.

I think people are overreacting to the DRM crap. If you don't want to suffer from the problems of Digital Rights Management, don't buy audio, video, or computer software online.

There will always be a way to rip, copy, or otherwise duplicate any audio or video signal, as long as hackers can breathe.

The two best things I can say about Vista are: 1) it's more secure than XP, and 2) it looks nicer than XP. Both those two things are good. The rest of it is not going to affect most people, particularly business users.

You wanna see bad DRM, take a look at the Zune. Yeeeesh... I'll take a regular iPod any day over that piece o' dirt.

So, I'm not trying to be insulting, but I think you should take the time to read the entire article. Why is microsoft taking all HD content streams, reducing the resolution of them, then upconverting the lower resolution stream? This is in playback mode, not when attempting to rip the content! What possible use could this have other than to piss off Vista's users?

One of my co-workers bought the Zune, and I agree it's a P.O.S. The point though, is that the Zune DRM works through and in conjunction with Vista and the new media player software. This is especially true if you download content from microsoft.

There are a number of other issues in the article besides the DRM that should be raising peoples hackles. I'm not one of those who reflexively bashes anything from Redmond. I've been, for the most part, very happy with XP and Office 2000 and 2003. Having said that, I REALLY think microsoft screwed the proverbial pooch with this one.

Still, time will tell.

Abraxas