News & Views - February 10, 2008

dude

Hi Gang,

I had planned a short rant for today about Microsoft Internet Explorer 7's blocking of streaming Internet radio in the flash format, complete with a history of the company's anti-consumer actions... but once I got started, found it would take pages and pages to do so and it would probably duplicate what millions already know, anyway. I don't usually endorse products or services at AwesomeDude, but I'll say this just once. In all honesty, I can't recommend any Microsoft Product to anyone, anytime. Yeah, I know it's too late for me. I use 4 computers running XP everyday in my work and for producing AwesomeDude and AwesomeDude Radio, so I can't totally escape. However, rather than rail against greed and corporate irresponsibility, I'd just like to recommend your trying out alternate browsers in your everyday surfing, the most advanced of which is the Mozilla's Fire Fox2. With it you immediately bypass numerous security problems inherent with the IE7 product and as a bonus... AwesomeDude members can click on a Wimpy Button anytime and get immediate access to AwesomeDude Radio without opening a separate player program... if they so desire. FireFox has truly arrived and it is now my default browser. Although I've put buttons to download it at the bottom of both the AwesomeDude Home Page and the AwesomeDude Radio Page, this is not a paid endorsement... just a statement of fact mixed with a large dose of frustration with Microsoft. I'm already planning to replace a bought-and- paid-for Microsoft Office Suite with the free open source Open Office and also to free up one of my computers to start working with the quickly developing version of Linux, Ubuntu. It's not that I can't afford Microsft's stuff, I just don't want to deal with it any more than is necessary. Life is too short. End of rant!

Valentine's Day is coming up this week, and I guess along with Halloween, can also be considered an 'official gay holiday.' On this auspicious occasion, I'd like you to check out Show Time! by Graeme which is available 'front and center' on the AwesomeDude Home Page... just look for the throbbing heart, click and enjoy. Nice effort, Graeme, thanks for making our Valentine's Day week complete.

The other big news this week is the EleCivil has wrapped up his popular novel Laika with the final Chapter 16, an Epilogue and an Afterward. I'm not sure which is correct, Afterward or After Word... but it's done in the excellent style and flare for which EC is known. Great work EC! Glad to have Tragic Rabbit writing again, we posted his Playing Doctor on our Current Short Stories list on Wednesday and it has the distincion of qualifying for both Drawn From Life and Flash Fiction status. Good news for FunTails' fans, we've posted an updated version of his popular Switching Back.

We have so many talented folks at AwesomeDude, I am just so proud. We may not be the biggest site of our genre but we are unique in many ways and our authors, editors and readers are all top flight. I want to thank every one of you for your support.

So here's the rundown for the week:

New Short Stories

Show Time! by Graeme
    Playing Doctor by Tragic Rabbit
    Switching Back by Funtails

Serial Novel Chapter Updates

Laika by EleCivil - Chapter 16 - Epilogue - Afterward FINAL
    Duck Duck Goose by Cole Parker - Chapter 29
    Jeet by Josh - Chapter 32
    Family and Friends Series by - Ron Robbins - Mac Part 18
    Saga of the Elizabethton Tarheels by Sequoyah - Chapter 44
    Desert Fantasies by Jack Scribe - Chapter 21
    Moving On by Jack Frost - Chapter 15
    Outside The Foul Lines by Rick Beck - Chapter 9
    Everybody's Wounded by Duncan Ryder - Chapter 16
    Here's Looking At You, Kid by Douglas - Chapter 12
    One Moonlit Night by Steven Keiths - Chapter 12

I want to thank our 'cousins' over at The Mail Crew for their constant support over the years and also want express my admiration at how they keep it going as the founders pass the torch to the new generation of school students as they graduate and head out on their own. It is truly one of the worthiest efforts in our corner of the web.

And don't forget to go over and check out what's new at Codey's World. Despite Codey's absence among us earth dwellers, his guiding hand is certainly still felt there by Tim, Colin, Ben and all those who toil to keep CW something Codey would be proud of.

That's it... don't forget to let your favorite authors know how much you appreciate them!

And don't forget to have a great week of reading!