Shooting of gay teen spurs schools' alliance

There is an article in the Contra Costa Times this morning (March 27) about efforts in the Los Angeles Unified School District "...to deal with bullying and let students -- as well as employees on campus -- know that discrimination is inexcusable... We're working not for tolerance, but for acceptance." It also tells about how the LAUSD is proactive about having GSA chapters on high school and now even middle school campuses, and is working with a nonprofit organization Friends of Project 10. IMO, this is the sort of program and approach that all school districts should be adopting.

I couldn't find the link to the story on the CCTimes website, so I found it on the LA Daily News website: www.dailynews.com/search/ci_8709749?IADID=Search-www.dailynews.com-www.dailynews.com.

Colin :shock:

Yes, I'm saddened that my prediction (from my story Jagged Angel) sort of came true: a school shooting in Southern California was involved with a gay hate crime. But in my case, I had an angry gay student doing the shooting; in real-life, the gay kid was the victim.

If they had stricter anti-bullying policies in effect, and if they were strictly enforced, this kind of stuff wouldn't happen nearly as often.

Interesting thing, about the bullying. I read a short article written by the father of a bullied child, and it is not yet 'final', but very interesting. Unfortunately, he hasn't given me permission to reprint it, probably because he is trying to get it published. It is very good, with excellent advice on dealing with bullying, and it won't even cost a fortune. If he ever gives me permission, I'll be sure to post it here.