LGTB Issues Under Obama

Steve Hildebrand: Obama and the LGBT Community

The former director of the Obama election campaign and advisor to the President on LGTB issues talks about Bans on Marriage, Don't Ask, Don't Tell: Has Congress Reversed Gay Rights?

A hard look at whether liberties are being rolled back on the basis of orientation.

At last someone states that the administration needs to see pressure and support from the masses, for reforms to be instigated and implemented, otherwise those who stand against reforms will appear to be the majority.

Steve Hildebrand: Obama and the LGBT Community

The former director of the Obama election campaign and advisor to the President on LGTB issues talks about Bans on Marriage, Don't Ask, Don't Tell: Has Congress Reversed Gay Rights?

A hard look at whether liberties are being rolled back on the basis of orientation.

At last someone states that the administration needs to see pressure and support from the masses, for reforms to be instigated and implemented, otherwise those who stand against reforms will appear to be the majority.

im not convinced Obama will even try to over turn doma or even make other bills, he's been all talk. I would love to say he would be all for it, but his actions been show me not much. but again, congress needs to also get pressure on them.

More and more people are now criticizing Obama for not taking a stronger stance earlier, and not setting a deadline as to when the gay law reforms will happen.

I'm a fan of Obama, and I voted for the guy (one of only two presidents I voted for that actually won since I started voting more than 30 years ago), but he's gotta get it together and start accomplishing his goals.

He hasn't done enough -- and people are starting to grumble about it. CNN did a good piece about this a week ago at this link.

It may well be that Obama had not assessed the situation would require more than his words to achieve results. This may well be true if we suspect that he is surrounded by people who want him to hold back on his programs for political reasons.

Many left wing commentators are condemning him for not fighting harder at best, or for being a liar at worst.

However these people are missing the point that the obvious alternatives to Obama are very frightening and they would be better employed to call for support for Obama and his liberal, progressive supporters and policies as he stated them prior to being elected.

I think there is some awakening in the oval office that achieving even some of the reforms he promised will need more effort than just his eloquence. I sure hope so. If that is the case then all those who supported him before, should now stand and support him when he needs to hear the people are in fact in favour of his promises and not just disappointed he hasn't done all the work himself.

If I was in America I would be out there giving him every bit of help I could, because I believed him when he said he wanted to bring change for the better, and I remember he said WE not "I" but we can.

You might ask why I, as an Australian am so concerned? It is because our Aussie politicians often follow the US policies. It's not that Aussie politicians aren't capable of thinking for themselves, just seems that they don't do it very often. :icon_twisted: