Father Of Dead Marine Ordered To Pay Phelps Leagal Fees

E.J.

The father of a Marine killed in Iraq and whose funeral was picketed by anti-gay protesters was ordered to pay the protesters' appeal costs, his lawyers said Monday.

On Friday, Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit ordered Snyder to pay $16,510 to Fred Phelps. Phelps is the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, which conducted protests at Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder's funeral in 2006.

Read the rest HERE

Without more the information is meaningless. Court decisions are public record. Can anyone in the area pull the record and post the decision of the lower court on this site and also the decision of the court of appeals.

Usually only the losing party has to pay the court costs and attorneys fees of the winner. Who won and why. the court has to state their reasons. It sound, and I am just guessing, that they got an injunction to stop them from protesting at his funeral. However, if the soldier was not gay, then why should they have a right to protest againt gays if someone is not gay.

Phelps is such an ass hole. And of course I mean that in a nice way. I think someone ought to do to him what any good gay does to an ass hole. No, I can't say that as it is hate speech unless it is his funeral. Then according to this info I can picket it. As long as Phelps is not on private property then he can picket, but what did these people do to get a court judgment against them. Does not make sense without more facts.

Yeah, if the Phelpses had to pay $5 million damages in this case, I think it's odd that the winners would have to pay the Phelpses' legal expenses. I bet this is just some kind of bizarre technicality.

Me, I'd have no problem paying somebody $16,000 if they were giving me $5 million. In this case, I'd do it in pennies, and beat them over the head with them, but I'd pay it.

BTW, there's a good explanation of the evil Fred Phelps' church's activities at this Wikipedia link. Howard Stern has railed against them for many years, to the point of having one of Phelps' daughters on his show quite a few times, just to chide her about her anti-gay views. But even Stern ran out of patience about four or five years ago, and finally decided they had gone too far in protesting against dead Iraqui War veterans.

I don't hate many people, but these people are an exception. I really, really hate them.

Yeah, if the Phelpses had to pay $5 million damages in this case, I think it's odd that the winners would have to pay the Phelpses' legal expenses. I bet this is just some kind of bizarre technicality.

The decision was overturned by the court of appeals.